Fara Mohammad is a specialist adviser to international companies and individuals on their inward investments into the UK, Europe and MEA. She works with businesses, funds and individuals on the financing of their investments and often acts as external general counsel for all legal aspects related to the investment.
She is an expert in financing and banking transactions covering a range of asset types, investment classes and industry sectors. She advises on a range of financial products and has developed them for many financial institutions in Asia, the Middle East and the UK. Fara has assisted with the establishment of institutions in a number of jurisdictions. She specialises in Shariah-compliant matters.
Fara has been recognised as one of the most influential women in the Islamic Business and Finance global industry. She was not only recognised for her professional expertise but also her contribution to the wider industry and the place that women have within it. She speaks regularly at international events and is a regular contributor to journals and magazines.
- Islamic banking and finance
- Leveraged finance
- Real estate finance
- Financial products
- Investment funds
- Debt capital markets
- Advised various international companies and funds on their respective investments in the UK.
- Advised UK, Asian and international banks on their Shariah-compliant domestic and cross-border syndicated and single, stand-by and revolving financing facilities.
- Advised international banks on the development of new Shariah-compliant financial products.
- Advising several funds on their respective acquisition of properties in the UK.
- Advised several Asian government-linked companies on their business and real estate acquisitions in the UK.
- Advised international financial entities on their new Shariah-compliant product for UK investments.
- Advised international banks on their Shariah-compliant derivatives product.
- Advised an asset management fund on its joint ventures in the UK.
- Advised a central government on its acquisition of its UK embassy.
- Advising a Saudi real estate company on the issuance of a sukuk in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising a Qatari entity on the termination of its sukuk worth USD 270 million.
- Advised a group of international banks on a shipping finance matter in Saudi Arabia, which was awarded deal of the year by an international shipping journal.
- Advising international funds on its incorporation and operations in the UK.
- Establishment of Shariah Supervisory Boards.
- Conducting regular due diligence and preparing reports on Islamic finance products for institutional clients.
- Liaising with and advising Shariah Supervisory Boards and scholars.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in Chambers UK 2022 for Islamic Finance
“Fara has been exceptional. She is extremely knowledgeable and responsive.” Chambers UK 2022
Ranked by Cambridge IFA as one of the influential women in global Islamic business and finance (Womani 2021, ranked #36) Also ranked in years 2018, 2019, 2020.
Legal 500 (2015, 2016)
Leading lawyer in Islamic Finance (IFN, 2010)
Fara qualified as a solicitor in England & Wales in 2008 and also qualified in Malaysia in 1999. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, she worked at the following firms:
- Clyde & Co, London and Dubai
- Foot Anstey, London
- Norton Rose Fullbright, London
- Zaid Ibrahim & Co, Malaysia
- Shearn Delamore & Co, Malaysia