Kamal is a Partner at Keystone Law Middle East LLP with over 18 years of banking, finance, corporate and commercial law experience in the MENA region.
An England & Wales qualified barrister, he advises individuals, start-ups and SMEs in mitigating legal risk and expanding their operations in the Middle East and beyond.
Prior to joining Keystone Law, Kamal was a Partner at Davidson & Co. heading its Banking and Corporate (non-contentious) division. He has also served as Head of Legal at Standard Chartered Bank (Pakistan) and its Regional Senior Legal Counsel for Africa, Middle East and Pakistan based out of the Dubai International Financial Centre.
With a solution-oriented focus Kamal counsels a wide range of clients from diverse industries and with distinct legal requirements
- Asset sale, purchase and financing
- Bilateral and syndicated loans
- Consumer Credit
- Corporate Finance
- Guarantee arrangements
- Inter-creditor arrangements
- Islamic Finance
- Security documents and enforcements
- Agency and distribution agreements
- Business formation and structuring
- Commercial contracts
- Corporate Governance & Policies
- Joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions and partnership agreements
- Non-disclosure/confidentiality agreements
- Procurement and supply agreements
- Shareholder Agreements
- Acted for a major international lender as agent bank in a USD$3bn syndicated financing to a national bank. With 21 international financial institutions and a total enhanced funding of US$3.5bn in 2018, this was one of the largest transactions of its kind in the Middle East at the time.
- Advised a leading lender in relation to a US$200m, multi-currency revolving facility to one of Saudi Arabia’s largest conglomerates.
- Advised, negotiated and finalized financial product documentation and custody services arrangements on behalf of Standard Chartered Bank (DIFC) with some of the most prominent investors and intermediaries operating in the region.
- Negotiated a settlement on behalf of minority shareholders in a leading trading company in the GCC region.
- Advised a high-net worth individual in offshore structures, banking arrangements, the acquisition and disposal of international assets and succession planning.
- Advised a boutique technology company incorporate, structure its business and enter into lucrative contracts with international counterparts.
- Advised various entrepreneurs, start-ups and SMEs in the UAE on business formation, investments, governance and growth.
- Sole Legal Adviser to two international, award-winning feature films.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
- ‘Saadiq Excellence Award’ (2010)
- International Financial Law Review ‘In-House Legal Team of the Year in the Middle East’ Awards (2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016)
- ‘Banking and Financial Services In-House Legal Team of the Year’ in Asian Legal Business Award (2012)
Kamal graduated with an LLB (Hons.) from the University of London and was called to the bar of England and Wales in 2001. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, he has worked for:
- CKR & Zia (Middle East) LLP (Dubai)
- Davidson & Co. (Dubai)
- Standard Chartered Bank