Michael has extensive legal and business experience gained at Schlumberger (London and Singapore), Alcatel (Paris), Ooredoo (Doha), San Miguel (Manila), Loon (Google – Dubai), and at international law firms (Paris and Istanbul).
Today Michael mainly advises on technology projects and on commercial and corporate matters.
- B2B platform and outsourcing contracts
- Investment contracts and related infrastructure projects
- Procurement, distribution and agency contracts
- Corporate compliance and governance
- Google/Loon (Dubai, Mountain View; 2 years). Loon was a Google X moon-shot project company, using high altitude balloons to provide LTE coverage to rural and remote areas. I was a consultant to Loon in Africa for telco partnerships and government relations.
- General Counsel at Qatar Telecom/Ooredoo (Doha, 10 years). Headed legal and regulatory for 12 countries, frequently advising parent and subsidiary boards and was member of boards in Tunisia, Jordan, Pakistan, Singapore and Philippines. Co-led the acquisition of telecommunication companies in 10 countries.
- At White & Case (Paris, 4 years). Advised project companies and banks on Public Private Partnerships.
- Alcatel (Paris, 9 years). In-house counsel in the Alcatel group, General Counsel of Alcatel CIT, the largest operating company for 4 years. Responsible for many fixed-line and mobile concession and project finance matters worldwide (many with government entities), as well as several turn-key projects and the establishment of a series of industrial and research & development joint ventures in India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Romania, South Africa, Thailand, and Vietnam. Led negotiations involving submarine cable and satellite projects, strategic acquisitions, alliances, and technology acquisitions.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Michael holds degrees in political science and law from the University of California and an MBA from INSEAD (France). He is a member of the California Bar and was previously a member of the bar in Paris, France. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, he has worked for:
- Ooredoo (Qatar)
- San Miguel (Philippines)
- Loon (Google)
- Numerous international law firms