Michael Hancock has extensive experience gained at Schlumberger (London and Singapore), Alcatel (Paris), Ooredoo (Doha), San Miguel (Manila), Loon/ Google (Dubai), and at White & Case, Paris and Salans (now Dentons), Paris and Istanbul.
Today Michael mainly advises on commercial, corporate and M&A matters, mainly in the technology sector.
- Private equity and start-up
- B2B platform, outsourcing, technology licensing contracts
- Dispute resolution
- Co-led a recent acquisition of a telecommunications business in four GCC countries.
- Acting General counsel to two international tech companies, one in the US and one in the UAE.
- Google/Loon (Dubai, Mountain View; 2 years). Loon was a Google X moon-shot project company, using high altitude balloons to provide LTE coverage to rural and remote areas. I was a consultant to Loon in Africa for telco partnerships and government relations.
- General counsel at Qatar Telecom/Ooredoo (Doha, 10 years). Headed legal and regulatory for 12 countries, frequently advising parent and subsidiary boards and was member of boards in Tunisia, Jordan, Pakistan, Singapore and Philippines. Co-led the acquisition of telecommunication companies in 10 countries.
- At White & Case (Paris, 4 years). Advised project companies and banks on Public Private Partnerships.
- Alcatel (Paris, 9 years). In-house counsel in the Alcatel group, General counsel of Alcatel CIT, its largest operating company for 4 years. Responsible for many fixed-line and mobile concession and project finance matters worldwide (many with government entities), as well as several turn-key projects and the establishment of a series of industrial and research & development joint ventures in India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Romania, South Africa, Thailand, and Vietnam. Led negotiations involving submarine cable and satellite projects, strategic acquisitions, alliances, and technology acquisitions.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Michael holds degrees in political science and law from the University of California and an MBA from INSEAD (France). He is a member of the California Bar and was previously a member of the Paris bar. Before joining Keystone Law in 2021, he has worked for:
- Google Loon (Dubai)
- San Miguel (Manila)
- Ooredoo (Doha)
- Salans/ Denton (Paris and Istanbul)
- White & Case (Paris)
- Alcatel (Paris)
- Schlumberger (Paris, London, Singapore)