Benjamin has over 15 years’ experience in yachting and luxury asset law, specialising in finance, construction and purchase, and operational matters including taxation, insurance and employment. He also advises in relation to private aviation and art.
Benjamin’s impressive client base includes some of the most prominent and prolific superyacht owners, as well as finance providers, yards and key suppliers. He is also frequently recommended to clients by leading brokers, owners’ representatives, project managers, captains and lawyers from other jurisdictions.
Benjamin is heavily involved with a range of industry bodies and associations. He is regularly asked to contribute to leading wealth management and superyacht publications, and is a well-known conference speaker.
Benjamin possesses that very sharp edge, that is so fundamentally necessary, (but sadly not always present in some legal professionals). He is a very solid individual with much knowledge and integrity and a person who’s advice can be taken as equally solid. Always a pleasure to deal with - he remains my go to contact for all legal matters in the maritime world.
Captain Iain Flockhart
Captain of 68-metre newbuild superyacht
Benjamin and team, thank you. Great work under tight timing. Much appreciated.
Referring Miami-based lawyer
Accountancy Age Magazine
You need to speak with Benjamin Maltby, who is very experienced and professional.
Daniel Heath, Director,
BHF Bank (Switzerland)
I was impressed by your thoughtful and comprehensive approach.
Your words are gold.My compliments! That's a great job done by you, as always.
Eugene Kilanov, CEO
Your initial analysis is most helpful.
I can't thank you enough for the help and advice you have given me to date.
- Yacht and superyacht law
- Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution
- Asset financing
- Art law
- Advised on the construction, purchase and sale of a wide range of superyachts and commercial vessels across the world.
- Created and implemented novel and unique contracts, such as a joint venture agreement for the financing, purchasing and refitting of an 80-metre Blohm+Voss, and a hybrid new-build/second-hand agreement for the buyer of a previously rejected 64-metre Benetti.
- Protected superyacht buyers’ interests – for example, developing a limited partnership structure to prevent the loss of VAT-paid status on a chartered 38-metre Oyster and negotiating a bespoke builder’s warranty and refit contract to dovetail with the sale of a 31-metre Benetti.
- Helped to develop clients’ businesses, through the creation of a suite of contracts for a new superyacht management and brokerage business and drafting terms of business for key superyacht suppliers.
- Safeguarded clients’ investments through the negotiation and drafting of agreements for the purchasing of significant pieces of contemporary art.
- Promoted crew happiness and wellbeing through the drafting and implementation of seafarer employment agreements.
- Successfully recovered damages through complex arbitrations, having obtained financial security in a variety of challenging jurisdictions.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recommended in the Superyacht Services Guide 2019
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Shipping
Regarded as one of “6 of the Biggest Names in Superyacht Law” by Superyacht Content
Chairman, British Marine Insurance Finance & Legal Services Association
Member of the Senior Common Room of St John’s College, University of Durham
International Certificate of Competence for vessels up to 24 metres
Freeman of the City of London
Benjamin qualified as a barrister in 2000. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, he worked at the following firms:
- Ince & Co