Geoff is a Manx Advocate with a practice that includes a wide range of Isle of Man corporate and structured finance work. He has particular experience in advising lenders, investors and developers in the UK and European commercial real estate sector, and in recent years has advised upon many high-profile CRE transactions for blue chip clients relating to prime assets (mainly located in London).
Geoff is a regular attendee at real estate industry events and is a member of the Investment Property Forum. He also works closely with leading advisors in London in developing the Isle of Man’s important role in attracting international business and investment to the City and the UK.
Technically very good, commercial and responsive
Legal 500 2017
- Corporate (Isle of Man) with particular expertise in the establishment, sale, acquisition and complex restructuring of real-estate holding companies, partnerships and funds
- Real estate and asset finance (Isle of Man) acting for banks, lenders (including, alternative lenders and challenger banks) and borrowers in respect of the financing of Isle of Man entities (companies, partnerships and trusts) including listed vehicles, fund structures, trading companies and asset-holding SPVs holding a broad range of assets, but with particular expertise in respect of real estate finance, including the preparation and review of loan, security and hedging documentation
- Insolvency and restructuring (Isle of Man) with particular expertise in respect of real-estate holding structures, including the enforceability of security, appointment of receivers, winding-up and general Isle of Man law enforcement strategies and options
- Funds (Isle of Man)with particular expertise in respect of the use of Isle of Man corporate and fund vehicles to hold investment property or to undertake property development for private equity, property funds and non-UK domiciled investors,including the preparation and drafting of bespoke constitutional and investor documentation
- Banking (Isle of Man) with particular expertise in providing advice to Isle of Man regulated banks regarding a range of regulatory issues, including liaising with regulators and the preparation and review of customer documentation
- Advising Kennedy Wilson UK in respect of its £280m acquisition (via an Isle of Man SPV)of 111 Buckingham Palace Road, Victoria, London (Daily Telegraph HQ).
- Advising various parties in respect of several distressed loan portfolio acquisitions including Rock/Salt.
- Advising a major UK-based hotel investment group in respect of corporate due diligence and financing regarding its proposed £130m acquisition of an Isle of Man SPV owning a central London hotel.
- Advising a major German bank regarding a £300m loan facility in respect of the re-financing of a landmark London riverside hotel.
- Advising a major UK-based developer in respect of the financing of several major student accommodation development projects throughout the UK.
- Advising a syndicate of banks in respect of a £300m re-financing of the London Trocadero.
- Advising and assisting on the establishment and winding-up of an Isle of Man purpose trust structure utilised by two major investment banks to acquire and dispose of debt secured on a high-end Monaco residential development.
- Advising several major European lenders in respect of the restructuring and re-financing of a group of Isle of Man incorporated SPVs owning in excess of £1bn of London real estate assets.
- Advising a leading alternative lender in respect of an investment and development loan facility in respect of the development of several data centres in London Docklands.
- Advising a major UK lender regarding enforcement options and the appointment of receivers and/or administrators in respect of an Isle of Man property unit trust holding approx. 20 UK properties.
- Advising NAMA in respect of several distressed loans to Isle of Man incorporated entities, including the consideration of enforcement options, the appointment of receivers and taking of additional security.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by Chambers UK 2021 for Offshore: Corporate & Finance
“He is excellent, responsive and commercial.” Chambers UK 2021
“He is very approachable and provides timely, commercial advice.” Chambers UK 2021
Recognised by the Legal 500 2021 for Isle of Man: Banking, Finance and Capital Markets
Recognised as a Leading Individual by the Legal 500 2021 for Isle of Man: Corporate and Commercial
Geoff Kermeen is well regarded for his corporate practice. He advises clients on M&A and financing matters, as well as handling capital markets work. Chambers UK 2020
Recognised as a Leading Individual by the Legal 500 2020 for Isle of Man: Corporate and Commercial
Recognised by the Legal 500 2020 for Isle of Man: Banking and Finance
Geoff Kermeen of Keystone Law is well known among market practitioners for his finance and transactional practice. He has been regularly called upon to handle loan and refinancing agreements, particularly in relation to real estate acquisitions. Chambers UK 2019
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Isle of Man: Banking & Finance and Isle of Man: Corporate and Commercial
“Very commercial and client-orientated” Legal 500 2018
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) in the practice area of Asset Finance Offshore (2014 – 2022)
Geoff Kermeen is recognised in Banking & Finance and Corporate & Commercial by the Legal 500 2017. “Technically very good, commercial and responsive“
Geoff qualified as an advocate in 2001. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2015, he worked at Cains.