Joe is a Partner in the Construction team specialising in procurement and development of construction and engineering projects. He has particular expertise in advising on property developments (including offices, warehouses, hotels, retail, sports stadia, business parks, residential), energy projects, process plant, highways and bridges, ports, and other engineering projects.
Joe is also experienced in providing entirely original drafting or using and amending industry standard form contracts, including JCT, NEC, FIDIC, MF/1 and IChemE contracts.
With a background in dispute resolution, Joe is adept at guiding clients through project risks/challenges and developing strategies for any potential issues or disputes before they arise. He also advises on contract claims, negotiation of settlements, and support in connection with formal proceedings including adjudication and arbitration.
- Construction and engineering law
- Procurement of construction and engineering projects
- Renewable energy projects
- Building contracts
- Letters of intent
- EPC contracts
- Power purchase agreements
- Pre-construction services agreements
- Professional appointments
- Warranties and third-party rights and reliance letters
- Operation and maintenance contracts
- Development agreements
- Bonds, guarantees and project accounts
- Retention of title and vesting certificates
- Utilities and supply contracts
- Dispute settlement
- JCT contracts
- NEC contracts
- FDIC contracts
- MF/1 contracts
- IChemE contracts
- Drafted and negotiated the building contract for a large-scale refurbishment and new building of graduate and student accommodation for an Oxford University College.
- Reviewed issues regarding defects in student accommodation for an Oxford University College and prepared detailed claim letter. Assisted the client with negotiation and successful settlement of the claim.
- Advised on the initiation of a student living development involving drafting and negotiating professional appointments for an Oxford University College.
- Drafted and negotiated professional appointments and design and build works contracts for a major refurbishment of historic premises at create an exhibition, study, research and storage facility for an Oxford University College.
- Reviewed and advised on construction fit-out contracts and documentation relating to a veterinary facility at Keele University.
- Reviewed an existing building contract for a student centre and public realm works and drafted and negotiated deeds of variation to clarify works and add works for University of Central Lancashire.
- Drafted and negotiated a bespoke works contract for the replacement of a pipe organ in the listed chapel of an Oxford University College with a European master builder and related documents to provide significant upgrade to the music school.
- Drafted and negotiated a framework utility infrastructure agreement for the landowner with an independent distribution network operator in respect of large-scale gas and electricity upgrades and supply for the development of land at Silverstone Park Northamptonshire.
- Drafted and negotiated an electricity supply and works agreements with an independent distribution network operator in respect of a major 33/11kV electricity reinforcement project at Milton Park Oxfordshire.
- Drafted and negotiated the EPC (Engineer, Procure and Construct) Contract and the O&M Contract for the development of a private network large-scale solar energy facility on a business park near Aylesbury Oxfordshire.
- Advised on a roof-top solar installation works contract and an operation and maintenance agreement for use in multiple roof-top solar projects for the owners of a number of business parks in Southern England.
- Advised on the development of a wind turbine, solar and battery energy 7MW facility for Keele University including all contracts for the supply, installation and maintenance.
- Advised an Oxford University College on the procurement structure and works relating to the installation of a ground source heat pump.
- Advised on independent power supply projects in the UK for AES Corp – drafting and negotiating EPC works contracts and dealing with project finance requirements.
- Advised on hydro-power and run-of-river energy projects for independent energy suppliers outside the UK including drafting and negotiating project documentation.
- Drafted and negotiated professional appointments and design and build works contracts and security documents on multiple commercial developments on Milton Park Oxfordshire for the development and expansion of a life sciences sector for research and other facilities.
- Drafted and negotiated building contract and professional appointments for the expansion of GP practices in Oxfordshire.
- Development of a number of care home projects in England acting for the funding bank; reviewed and adapted construction documents used for the projects.
- Development of private hospitals and clinics for a well-known private health care provider; drafted and settled construction documentation for various projects.
- Advised the owners of four business parks in southern England on the refurbishment and construction of offices, laboratories, and other facilities; advice included drafting and settling framework appointments for consultants, direct professional appointments, building contracts, warranties, bonds and guarantees.
- Drafted and negotiated the building contract and letter of intent for works on a sports facility and stadium in Portsmouth.
- Advised on the refurbishment of existing buildings (offices, laboratories, and other facilities) including drafting and settling appointments for consultants, building contracts, warranties, bonds and guarantees and related documents for the owners of Milton Park Oxfordshire.
- Drafted and negotiated the building contract and professional appointments and associated documents for the re-build of a rural retail centre in England for the owner with a pre-let tenancy with a national food retailer.
- Advised ACNielson on their move to a new business park in Oxford including drafting and negotiating the building contract and professional appointments and associated project documents.
- Drafted and negotiated the building contract and professional appointments, warranties and associated documents for an owner to develop two warehouses in Oxfordshire in two separate phases with different contractors.
- Advised on a hotel refurbishment in Bath by drafting and settling two direct building contracts for different aspects of the works.
- Negotiated a settlement position with a contractor and variation of building contract for a social housing developer to complete its commitments.
- Advised on the fit-out to establish a data centre for Rackspace as tenant by preparing a construction documents package with particular attention to aspects of the technical specification.
- Drafted and negotiated professional appointments and design and build works contracts and security documents in relation to a complex major refurbishment of Cheltenham House in Cheltenham with multiple existing and new tenants.
- Advised on the redevelopment of the Oval Cricket Ground London for the owner, advised on procurement structure, drafted and negotiated the construction contract and professional appointments, and related documents – one of the first projects to use the JCT Major Project form.
- Advised on a residential and retail development in Marsham Street London – drafting design and construction works conditions and direct agreement with design and build contractor, settling parent company guarantees and retention bond, and reviewing and settling funding issues and insurance arrangements.
- Advised on an office development St. James’ Street London – liaising with and reviewing and input to lease agreement, reviewing and resolving funding agreement issues, drafting and negotiating professional appointments, drafting and negotiating the building contract, assisting with project account arrangements, advising on insurance arrangements.
- Advised on procurement and drafted and negotiated a number of works and maintenance contracts and professional appointments for building works and the installation of an advanced garment handling plant for a fashion retailer at a large warehousing facility in Northamptonshire.
- Drafted and negotiated the construction aspects of the agreements for lease (and subsidiary construction documents) for many individual projects for development of restaurant and drive-through food retail facilities for a national retailer.
- Drafted and negotiated the building contract and associated documents for a well-known international body care manufacturer and retailer for a London West End presence.
- Drafted and negotiated a building contract for fit-out works at premises on Regent Street for Smeg UK.
- Drafted works contracts for fit-out works for various Body Shop premises.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
MSc in Construction Law & Dispute Resolution Kings College London (awarded Dissertation Prize)
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Member of Kings College Construction Law Association (KCCLA)
Member of the Society of Construction Law
Joe qualified as a solicitor in 1985. Prior to joining Keystone Law, Joe’s practice developed with the following firms:
- Norton Rose (now Norton Rose Fulbright)
- Wedlake Bell
- Knights Plc