Alan has over 25 years’ experience as a litigation and regulatory investigations lawyer, latterly to the global online betting and gaming industry and related sectors, including operators, personal management licence holders, technology providers, advertisers, affiliates and online platforms.
He is often appointed by global brands in disputes with strategic impact, navigating an external or governmental regulatory enquiry and co-ordinating internal investigations. He also has significant experience in complex technology disputes, often tied to long-term strategic partnerships.
Alan also has significant experience working on disputes in the film, TV and online media industries, particularly concerning the failed funding or delivery of major film projects.
Alan also works with clients in the preparation for and in the urgent management of significant data breaches and cyber security incidents, providing a co-ordinated response across multiple disciplines.
Alan Owens is very knowledgeable, and has approached our cases with the necessary care, while reflecting on our business needs and what would be best for us as an outcome.
The Legal 500 2022
Excellent on commercial disputes in the media industry.
The Legal 500 2020
Alan Owens is a ‘first-rate, highly intelligent’ and ‘conscientious’ lawyer with ‘excellent commercial judgement’.
- Online betting and gaming litigation
- Defence of regulatory enforcement action
- Operator and personal management licence reviews
- Data breach management and cyber security
- Complex commercial disputes
- International and domestic arbitration
- Lead adviser on Dhir v Flutter Entertainment plc, the leading case on third-party claims in the UK gambling industry, and coordination of the defence of claims across the UK, Germany, Austria & Malta.
- Advised on B2B and B2C issues to Flutter (brands include Skybet, Betfair, Paddy power, Poker Stars), William Hill Group, Entain (Ladbrokes, Coral), Gamesys, BetVictor, bet365, LeoVegas and numerous other online providers.
- Advised on Gambling Commission enforcement actions against online operators including William Hill, Flutter, Skybet, Playtech, Mr Green and many others.
- Advised on enforcement action personal management licences for senior executives at Caesars and Rank.
- Advised on an ICC Arbitration chaired by Alan Redfern (London, New York law) for Amadeus IT Group regarding IT infrastructure and distribution agreement with major global airline with claims exceeding €100m.
- Represented Vodafone on the closure of 70 data centres following IBM cloud infrastructure deal, advising re SAP misrepresentation claims, advising re MVNO architecture and Oracle licensing framework and associated claims.
- Provided expedited expert determination advice regarding a £45m dispute arising from IT outsourcing transformation project.
- Advised Playtech on a dispute following failure of delivery of EU sports betting platform
- Acted for Yodel on the termination of a logistics IT transformation project.
- Representation for RR Donnelleyon, a global printing outsourcing supplier in a termination dispute with BT.
- Advised the Arcadia Group on the distressed aspects of the major transformational IT project Horizon.
- Acted in a multiparty arbitration for Honeywell Inc. chaired by Lord Hoffmann concerning design, function and manufacture of avionics following a major commercial airliner collision in Brazil, with passenger, hull loss and business interruption claims exceeding USD200m.
- Defended claims against Fujitsu concerning failures of undersea cabling boosters in the South China Sea.
- Mediated an English law dispute concerning a data infrastructure cable project in South East Asia for KDDI.
- Advised on an ICC arbitration (Bahrain, English law) regarding alleged early life failures of Fuji Electric transformers in a state-run aluminium smelting plant with claims exceeding USD10m.
- Acted on a UK deposition in a WTO dispute with Samsung concerning an iPhone design right dispute.
- Advised on the Court of Appeal and parallel Californian arbitration regarding the £17m film delivery claim re Starbright.
- Advised ITV on addressable advertising deals, series stacking and related VOD and IP delivery issues.
- Advised UKTV on advertising sales via C4.
- Advised on the financing arrangements for the Max Minghella film Teen Spirit.
- Advised on numerous disputes regarding the Hitman game series.
- Provided advice and coordination of seizure action re Fortnite game cheat seller.
- Advised on the Roblox consumer terms and account closures.
- Advised SB Tech following a major ransomware attack disabling all core systems immediately prior to the Draft Kings merger.
- Advised Vodafone on a £100m Broadcom dispute regarding cyber security product licensing.
- Represented Acentria in High Court litigation regarding cyber security services to a private entity running UK government immigration detentions centres subject to significant cyber-attack.
- Advised Amlin/Ascent for cyber security insurance product design, working with Kroll.
- Defending claims brought by Nokia (28 defendants) before the English High Court concerning price-fixing allegations for the supply of €2bn of LCD flat screens.
- Provided regulatory and litigation advice to Dixons Carphone Warehouse concerning the status of extended warranty programs and the navigation of FOS & FCA enquiries (and also for Scottish Power on similar issues).
- Acting for senior former Treasury executive of RBS in LIBOR cases – both series of SWAP litigation claims (first trial July 2016) and Rights Issue group litigation (Q4 2016).
- Acted for a RBS executive in FCA, DoJ and CFTC investigation.
- Advised on CMA investigation into EU online pricing agreements.
- Handled the defence of a series of damages claims (40 claimants, 8 defendants) arising out of a European Commission investigation into the global supply of oil transportation products (marine hose).
- Represented a group of 7 corporate claimants in claims against Hoffman La Roche, BASF & Others regarding the vitamins cartel to the UK Court of Appeal.
- Dhir v Flutter Entertainment plc  EWHC 1510 (QB)]
- Ingenious Group v European Film Bonds  EWCA Civ 807
- Emagine Films v Mister Smith Limited  EWHC 2085 (Ch)
- Devenish Nutrition Ltd v Sanofi-Aventis SA  EWCA Civ 1086
Recognised by The Legal 500 and Chambers UK 2015–2022
Author of the litigation funding chapters in Blackstone’s Civil Practice guide (2005–2020)
“Alan Owens is very knowledgeable, and has approached our cases with the necessary care, while reflecting on our business needs and what would be best for us as an outcome.” The Legal 500 2022
“Excellent on commercial disputes in the media industry” The Legal 500 2020
“highly intelligent’” The Legal 500 (various years)
“adds great value” The Legal 500 (various years)
“Commercial litigator with over 20 years’ experience in IT and Telecoms… Owens is advising major telecoms companies in relation to the complex regulatory aspects of large-scale projects.” The Legal 500 (various years)
“Alan Owens focuses on disputes in the technology sector. Sources appreciate his skills in ‘strategy and tactics’ adding that he is ‘supportive, highly intelligent, and very conscientious’.” The Legal 500 (various years)
“The ‘very smart’ Alan Owens is ‘dedicated to the client’ and ‘a good strategist’.” Chambers (various years)
“Alan Owens is a ‘first-rate, highly intelligent’ and ‘conscientious’ lawyer with ‘excellent commercial judgement’.” Chambers (various years)
Alan qualified as a solicitor in 1997. Prior to joining Keystone Law, he worked at the following firms:
- Morrison & Foerster