Antony is a highly experienced commercial and product liability specialist, handling primarily disputes that arise from international trade. His practice focuses on acting for insurers and manufacturers in product liability claims.
Antony has lectured in England and Germany and is a contributor to Product Liability: Law and Insurance, published by Informa. He is an accredited mediator and is fluent in German.
Strong negotiator and real specialist
Legal 500 2017
- Product liability
- Jurisdiction and applicable law
- Commercial agency
- International carriage of goods by road
- Defended a vehicle manufacturer in a claim arising from fire damage to a property.
- Defended the manufacturer of a lift control valve following a fatal accident.
- Defended a manufacturer of recycling equipment in a catastrophic injury claim.
- Acted for the manufacturer of stacking equipment claimed to have caused a warehouse fire.
- Defended a manufacturer of circuit protection equipment in multiple claims arising from fires.
- Defended manufacturers of playground equipment in claims arising from playground accidents.
- Acted for a supplier of hydraulic cylinders and systems in a claim in connection with an offshore hydraulic lifting system.
- Defended a manufacturer of high-intensity discharge bulbs in a claim arising from fire damage to a property.
- Acted for the manufacturer of synthetic pipework and fittings in claims arising out of installations in various public buildings.
- Defended a supplier of lighting control systems in a claim in connection with an award-winning sustainable office building.
- Represented the supplier of a construction locomotive in an inquest and civil claim following a double fatality on the Channel Tunnel Rail Link project.
- Defended a manufacturer of animal housing and feeding systems in a damages claim for loss of stock.
- Defended a claim arising from a fire in an anaerobic digestion plant.
- Acted for the producer of a food product in claims arising out of contamination from an illegal dye.
- Acted for a supplier of meat products in relation to impurities alleged to have been found in its products.
- Defended a manufacturer of beverages in claim for personal injuries resulting from impurities in a bottle.
- Advised a major food ingredients supplier on a potential claims and regulatory matters arising out of a food recall.
- Advised a food business operator on a risk assessment and food incident notification arising out of the presence of a contaminant in excess of maximum permitted residue levels.
- Defended the manufacturer of a locomotive transmission system implicated in a train derailment.
- Defended a pharmaceuticals manufacturer in a claim arising from a clinical drug trial.
- Advised on product liability involving medical devices, pharmaceuticals, electrical products, food, kitchen equipment etc. which, among other products customarily used in care homes, can cause injury or death if defective or negligently used or dispensed.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 for Product Liability: Defendant (2020-2024)
Recognised by The Legal 500 for Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation (2021-2024)
“Antony Colman, a highly experienced and knowledgeable product liability specialist with a long established reputation in the field. Personable and friendly.” The Legal 500 2024
“Keystone Law provides an amazing stable thoroughbred lawyers to practice law without the attendant management concerns of large firms. It has provided a happy home to favourite solicitors like Antony Colman. It allows him to do what he does best-which is to advise and represent his trusted clientele in their important product liability and insurance litigation. I have not worked with anybody else in this area at this firm.” The Legal 500 2023
“Antony Colman is a fantastic lawyer. He takes the time and trouble to understand the clients their products, and the challenges they face. He is an excellent lawyer – and a first rate litigator. He has earned respect and trust of his long-standing and loyal clients as the result of the sheer quality of his tireless work on their behalves. I have worked with him for many years. He is one of the best in the field and his strategic insight and intellectual acumen that he is a formidable opponent. His fluency in German is that he has particular rapport with German companies and insurers – and has carved out a niche practice in this area. He’s not only clever and calm but also very courteous – a deadly combination in any litigator.” The Legal 500 2023
“Antony Colman is an outstanding product liability lawyer. He specialises in high value, cross-border claims where his European connections and exceptional legal knowledge means that there is no-one better to turn to in the event of a product defect.” The Legal 500 2023
“Antony Colman is great, he is able to provide top-drawer advice and represent his trusted clientele in their important product liability and insurance litigation.” The Legal 500 2023
“Antony Colman is a hugely experienced litigator. His attention to detail is second to none. His tactical nous is superb. He knows the law backwards. And it is unsurprising that he has built up a loyal client base. I work with him regularly and know and appreciate his considerable talents. And he gets incredible results for his clientele. He’s absolutely at the top of his game.” The Legal 500 2022
“Jason Kallis and Antony Colman are technically great, they fully understand the economics of a claim and both provide excellent levels of service. Both treat claims as a fully collaborative effort.” The Legal 500 2022
“Antony Colman has an encyclopaedic knowledge of product liability. He is an incredibly effective solicitor and is absolutely at the top of his game.” The Legal 500 2022
“Antony Colman is a formidable litigator. He takes the messiest and most difficult case and has it smoothed into winning form in short order.” The Legal 500 2022
“Antony Colman – Very knowledgeable and willing to explain why certain positions should be adopted.” The Legal 500 2021
“Antony Colman is excellent, well known for product liability defence and questions of Private International Law.” The Legal 500 2021
“Antony Colman is a very experienced product liability lawyer, who is reliable and always available when needed.” Legal 500 2020
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Product Liability: Defendant
Antony Colman is recognised by the Legal 500 for Insurance and Product Liability. “Strong negotiator and real specialist”
Antony qualified as a solicitor in 1986. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, he worked at the following firms:
- Thomas Eggar
- Pritchard Englefield