Barry is a highly experienced lawyer with hands-on knowledge of professional regulation, having worked in-house for the Solicitors Regulation Authority, General Medical Council and other healthcare regulators. He has extensive experience of the court structure in England & Wales and the European Court of Justice including most judicial and quasi-judicial tribunals, which adds to his wide and detailed involvement in the British parliamentary process and the prosecution of crime.
In addition to being a Solicitor Advocate in England & Wales, he is an Attorney at Law for the State of New York.
I cannot explain how relieved I am. Your representations were amazing and clearly guided the decision. Thank you so much.
Can swiftly transform an ailing process whilst at the same time boosting staff morale. He is outstanding and always in demand.
Client, NHS Chief Executive
An extremely able advocate. He possesses an incisive mind and is fair, firm and authoritative. He quickly gets to the nitty gritty of a case.
- Corporate governance
- Risk assessments and investigations
- Fitness to practise and regulatory expertise
- Training for regulators
- Appraisal and appointment of case examiners and external inspectors
- Progression of backlogs, blocked or slow investigations
- Expert systemic and individual case reviews
- Regulatory, civil and criminal legal expertise
- Mentoring of managers and investigators
- Advised on a wide range of matters for the Solicitors Regulation Authority whilst acting as the Interim Director of Investigation and Supervision, and casework consultant.
- Prepared reports on fitness to practise function for Chair and Chief Executive at the General Dental Council.
- Interviewed and recruited case examiners along with providing training for case examiners and competency assessors at the GDC.
- Trained fitness to practise panellists at the General Dental Council.
- Reviewed interim orders process and performance of legal assessors within a well-known regulatory body.
- Advised on a wide ranges of topics and audited complex cases within the General Medical Council whilst acting as the Principal Legal Advisor.
- Advised on defective decision making within the Nursing & Midwifery Council and referrals back to committees.
- Advised on how to efficiently progress large backlog of cases within the Nursing & Midwifery Council.
- Supervised the investigation into Haringey Social Workers following Baby P case and drafted final report.
- Reviewed and revised the investigation process at General Social Care Council including devising a plan and timetable for dealing with a large backlog of cases.
- Prepared a Risk Assessment Report – the Review of Fertility Centres in the United Kingdom on behalf of the Human Fertilisation & Embryology Authority.
- Chaired inspection teams for the Human Fertilisation & Embryology Authority.
Member of the Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
Winner of the ARDL Mentor of the Year Award 2022
Barry qualified as a solicitor in 1992. Prior to joining Keystone Law, he worked at the following firms:
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
- General Dental Council
- General Medical Council
- Nursing & Midwifery Council
- General Social Care Council
- Human Fertilisation & Embryology Authority