Camilla is an experienced lawyer who specialises in all aspects of estate planning with a particular focus on Inheritance Tax. As an expert in will drafting and the use of trusts along with trust administration, she provides practical tax-efficient solutions and deals with everything from everyday family needs to the very complex.
Camilla is experienced in estate administration and probate, advising on reliefs and exemptions (including Business Relief and Agricultural Relief) and post-death planning using deeds of variation.
Camilla’s expertise also extends to assisting elderly and vulnerable clients with lasting powers of attorney, deputyship applications and other Court of Protection matters.
Camilla is a full member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP) and is on the committee of STEP Sussex. She regularly writes topical articles and gives webinars/seminars on estate planning to a wide audience of financial advisers and accountants and is well recognised for complementing the services they offer with a joined-up approach for mutual clients.
- Estate planning
- Inheritance tax
- Capital Gains Tax
- Court of Protection & Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Acted for a husband and wife exiting a business by creating multiple family trusts and a family investment company to receive a significant share of the £6m proceeds of their business sale.
- Acted for an ultra-high-net-worth entrepreneurial couple in relation to ‘asset protection’ wills and the creation of a family trust.
- Advised and implemented a ‘gift with leaseback’ arrangement on a £3m family home to mitigate IHT.
- Maximised the claim for Business Relief and Agricultural Relief in relation to a £4m farming probate and also making a claim for Quick Succession Relief.
- In relation to the death estate of a high-profile politician, successfully demonstrated to HMRC that a lifetime gift of 50% of her property made to her son qualified as a ‘shared occupancy gift’ and was not caught by the ‘reservation of benefit’ rules.
- By a deed of variation, introduced a Business Trust to capture Business Relief on £7m of business assets sold shortly after first death. The variation potentially saved 40% IHT.
- Acted for an attorney in a successful application to the Court of Protection to make IHT mitigating gifts.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised in The Legal 500 (2022-2024) for Personal tax, trusts and probate
“The ability of Camilla Bishop, her technical knowledge and the way it is presented to clients makes Camilla outstanding. Additionally, Camilla has the support of a network of solicitors with Keystone and that adds a layer comfort for me.” The Legal 500 2024
“Camilla Bishop is technically strong but manages to simplify matters and convey these to clients in a friendly and helpful style and without talking down to them.” The Legal 500 2024
Recognised in Chambers High Net Worth 2020-2023 for Private Wealth Law
“Camilla Bishop is my first choice destination for estate planning legal matters.” Chambers High Net Worth 2023
“Camilla is absolutely brilliant and has such a good bedside manner. She is client-focused, detailed, driven and just marvellous.” Chambers High Net Worth 2023
“Camilla Bishop is a great communicator, excellent at explaining what needs to be done and helping the clients understand everything.” The Legal 500 2022
“Very professional, friendly and approachable.” Chambers HNW 2022
“Excellent service. She provides fast responses and clear advice, allowing them to make decisions.” Chambers HNW 2022
“She is an excellent estate planning solicitor. She is very knowledgeable regarding Inheritance Tax planning advice.” Chambers HNW 2021
“Her knowledge is exceptional.” Chambers HNW 2021
Recognised in The Legal 500 2021
“… a respected private client lawyer, both by her peers, fellow professionals, clients and colleagues …” The Legal 500 2021
“She has the rare qualities of being personable and knowledgeable about complex scenarios, yet able to articulate them in plain English terms.” Chambers HNW 2020
“She is fantastic – she is very personable, competent and solid on her technical knowledge.” Chambers HNW 2020
Camilla Bishop “is a very capable private client lawyer.” Chambers HNW 2020
Camilla qualified as a solicitor in 2010. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, she worked at the following firms:
- DMH Stallard
- Irwin Mitchell
- Thomas Eggar