Craig is a highly regarded licensing lawyer, with standout capabilities in alcohol and gambling regulation. He routinely advises clients on the full spectrum of licensing issues arising from the hospitality sector, including the obtaining of licences for new premises, licence valuation, and dealings with operator tenants and landlords.
With over three decades of experience, he has garnered a substantial client following, encompassing an abundance of major hotels, nightclubs, bars, restaurants, and casinos. Craig’s established close relationships with a range of local authorities and regulatory agencies gives him a significant edge in securing quick and commercial results.
Craig also offers clients the benefit of further expertise in food safety and health and safety.
Craig is a highly proactive and service-oriented lawyer.
Chambers and Partners UK 2021
He is very effective and very good with enforcement issues. His experience brings a degree of gravitas to his advice.
Chambers and Partners UK 2021
Craig Baylis is an experienced and pragmatic operator.
Chambers and Partners 2023
- Alcohol licensing
- Gambling licensing
- Valuation of licences
- Obtaining of new licences
- Food safety
- Health and safety
- Obtained the last new casino licence in central London that could be granted for the Hippodrome Casino in Leicester Square.
- Advised Diageo GB on the licensing of its flagship development for the Guinness brand in Covent Garden.
- Advised The Crown Estate on their landlord responsibilities for their UK portfolio of licensed premises.
- Representing the Coral Island casino in Blackpool.
- Created new case law in the High Court in relation to local authority policy on sex entertainment licences.
- Co-authored the first textbook on the Food Safety Act for Sweet & Maxwell.
- Advised national restaurant chains on significant food safety breaches.
- Acted on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive to prosecute companies in fatal injury cases.
- Represented individuals in inquests following deaths in the workplace.
- Advised financial institutions on health and safety liability for investment purposes.
Included as a Hall of Fame Lawyer in The Legal 500 2023 for Licensing (London)
Ranked in the Chambers UK Guide 2023 as a Band 1 Lawyer for Licensing (London)
“Craig Baylis is an experienced and pragmatic operator.” Chambers and Partners 2023
Ranked in the Chambers UK Guide 2022 as a Band 1 Lawyer for Licensing (London)
“Craig is a highly proactive and service-oriented lawyer.” Chambers and Partners UK 2021
“He is very effective and very good with enforcement issues. His experience brings a degree of gravitas to his advice.” Chambers and Partners UK 2021
Craig qualified as a solicitor in 1981. Prior to joining Keystone in 2022, he worked for the Metropolitan Police as a prosecuting solicitor and subsequently at the following law firms:
- Kingsley Napley
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
- Field Fisher