Emma is an employment and partnership lawyer with extensive expertise in employment litigation, corporate transactions and advisory work.
She has advised organisations and senior individuals for over 16 years and works with clients across a range of sectors and jurisdictions (including legal, financial, property, education, advertising and energy).
Her employment specialisms include advising on strategic HR projects, redundancy-related issues, employment contracts and handbooks, sensitive terminations, team moves and restrictive covenants, performance management, unfair dismissals, discrimination law and whistleblowing. She is also an expert in advising on maternity law and family-friendly rights.
Emma is an active member of the Employment Law Association’s training committee.
- Strategic advice to overseas companies setting up in the UK
- Advising SMEs on all areas of employment law
- Executive and partner appointments including new contract reviews
- Termination packages, settlement agreements and restrictive covenants
- Internal HR processes and investigations including disciplinary and grievances
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Employment law in corporate transactions and TUPE obligations
- Discrimination and whistleblowing litigation
- Assisting overseas senior executives on all aspects of their moves to UK positions
Successfully led and managed Employment Tribunal proceedings including:
- Defended a claim for an energy company of perceived religious discrimination (claim settled out of court)
- Acted for senior executives in the banking and legal sector regarding maternity and pregnancy discrimination claims (with claims settled for substantial six-figure sums)
- Defended claims for manufacturing company regarding alleged failure to inform and consult under TUPE and automatic unfair dismissal claims
- Brought successful claims for disability discrimination against a local authority
- Brought successful claims for unfair dismissal and unlawful deduction from wages for senior individuals
- Conducted claims for discrimination, whistleblowing, restrictive covenants, injunctions and unfair dismissal claims
- Provided confidential advice regarding potential restructuring and whistleblowing matters for a private school
- Successfully advised client on an ongoing potential unfair dismissal and a complex disability discrimination claim against a multi national corporation
- Negotiated appointments, terminations and settlement agreements on behalf of both employees and employers
- Drafted contracts, policies and handbooks
- Advised on flexible-working and family-friendly rights
- Advised on managing out poor performers
- Advised on long-term sickness absence
- Advised private schools on removing senior staff
- Facilitated amicable exits for partners and LLP members on behalf of both the individuals and the firms
- Advised on the implementation of the GDPR
- Successfully managed team moves in the legal and insurance sectors
- Advised international organisations on setting up in the UK and overseas
- Trained teams on UK employment law and on diversity in the workplace
- Regularly worked with colleagues to advise senior executives on complex remuneration structures related to their entry or exit in the financial services industry.
- Carried out three client secondments including:
- 3 months as the in-house employment lawyer in an oil and gas plc;
- 6 months as part of the in-house employment team at an Investment Bank; and
- regular ad hoc secondment days as the employment lawyer within the HR team of an Investment Bank.
- Supported corporate lawyers on all aspects of share and asset acquisitions, complex TUPE-related issues, and training for the lawyers and their clients
- Navigated purchasers and administrative receivers through acquiring, selling and running insolvent companies
- Coordinated advice on extensive overseas employment issues
- Provided strategic and successful employment law advice to SME on outsourcing/TUPE issues.
Emma qualified as a solicitor in 2002. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, she worked at the following firms:
- Abbiss Cadres
- Fox & Partners
- Allen & Overy