James notably acted as the sole legal adviser for a lender providing a £6mio facility, funding the launch of a new TVR sports car.
For over ten years, James has advised a wide range of clients including both large and small businesses on buying, selling, and leasing property of all types (from industrial estates to offices) and on commercial leases, acquisitions, management, and disposals. He has previously acted for the likes of Valad and Workspace in addition to fund managers, property companies, and institutional investors. He has also worked in-house managing all the legal issues for one of the UK’s leading property investors.
James is renowned for his expertise as a bridging finance lawyer and acts on a regular basis for both lenders as well as borrowers. He has extensive experience in both standard and bespoke transactions. James’ knowledge in this area means that he is able to anticipate and fully understand lenders’ requirements and thus be able to expedite the transaction. Keystone’s flexible structure is able to accommodate a high volume of matters combined with a quick turnaround, which truly reflects the nature of the ‘bridging’ industry.
- Bridging Finance (acting for both lenders and borrowers)
- Facility Agreements; Legal Mortgages; Debentures and Third Party Debentures; Legal and Equitable Charges; Individual, Corporate and Third Party Mortgages; Personal and Corporate Guarantees; Deeds of Priority and Deeds of Subordination (intercreditor deeds); Deeds of Consideration; and even ‘Brexit/Covid’ clauses
- Bridging Loans; development exit loans; pre-development loans; refurbishment loans; auction loans; acquisition loans; business loans; unregulated loans; short-term loans; regulated loans; permitted development loans; cash-flow loans; non-status loans; property-chain loans; property investor loans; and re-finance loans.
- Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBIL)
- Short-term lending (acting for both lenders and borrowers)
- Secured lending (acting for both lender and borrower)
- Setting up procedures and master documentation for various bridging lenders
- Recovery Loan Scheme
- Offering independent legal advice relating to guarantees
- Advised on and completed in a short time frame over £50,000,000 worth of Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBIL) bridging loans during the lockdown and Covid-19 pandemic.
- Acted for the lender for a £3m facility relating to the launch of a new TVR sports car.
- Advised on a £9m loan for a 500 bed student accommodation scheme completing within a week.
- Advised on a £15m bridging loan in respect of three care homes allowing the borrower to retain their business.
- Advised on a £6m development loan which involved fractional ownership together with the litigious aspects in respect of the same; subordinated creditors in Guernsey; and mezzanine funders.
- Advised on a €5m bridging loan against a French real estate portfolio.
- Advising on hundreds of Bridging Loans (from residential security to nursing homes, industrial estates and public houses).
- Short-term lending to celebrities and well-known brands.
- Represented over 100+ industrial estates located throughout England on their property management.
- Acted on Russell Crowe’s tenancy agreement for the movie ‘Robin Hood’.
- Drafted bespoke leases for a range of clients.
- Ongoing property management for shopping centres ranging in size from 5 to 30 commercial units.
- Regularly acting on industrial purchases of over £10m.
- Acted for institutional investors, funds and various asset managers in respect of their estate property portfolio management.
- Advised property developers while carrying out works at a property and then exercised their option to purchase and exited via a disposal.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
James qualified as a solicitor in 2005. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, he worked at the following firms:
- Pearl & Coutts
- Reed Smith
- Taylor Wessing