James is a specialist commercial litigator with 25 years of experience of handling a broad range of commercial and contractual disputes. He acts for a diverse client base and has particular expertise in multi-party and cross-jurisdictional disputes, Russian/CIS-related disputes, civil fraud, domestic and international debt recovery, and disputes involving financial spread betting/CFDs/FX and other derivative products.
His cases often involve applications for interim relief, particularly worldwide freezing orders.
He has litigated cases in a number of overseas countries including Russia, Switzerland, France, Ireland, BVI, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Cyprus, Isle of Man, Mauritius and Curacao, and has links with the leading lawyers in these places.
- Commercial and contractual disputes
- Russian and CIS disputes
- Civil fraud
- Debt recovery and enforcement
- Financial services disputes
- Spread betting and FX other derivative products.
- Gambling disputes
- Takeover Panel investigations
- Injunctions and other forms of interim relief
- Sport Tribunal Work including Court of Arbitration of Sport representation
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar award on behalf of an international client in the London Court of International Arbitration.
- Represented an athlete before the Court of Arbitration of Sport in relation to a doping charge and motor sport participants before disciplinary tribunals.
- Acted for successful defendants co-accused of defrauding in excess of USD$100 million from Russian state-owned airline Aeroflot Airlines. Obtained an indemnity costs order on behalf of the clients following a contested hearing.
- Opposed the jurisdiction of the English Court on behalf of two further international companies in the above proceedings, both at first instance and in the Court of Appeal.
- Obtained a worldwide freezing order for a company linked to a prominent Russian businessman in relation to a multimillion-dollar claim under a guarantee.
- Acted for FX company defending a significant claim resulting from the operation of stop losses.
- Acted in a Takeover Panel investigation into the alleged “concert party” activities of certain shareholders of an English listed gold-mining company.
- Acted for a substantial agricultural company in a contractual dispute relating to the use of a dairy farm.
- Successfully defended a payroll company against a multimillion-dollar claim brought by a substantial US-based investment firm.
- Acted for a spread betting company in defeating a claim for significant damages based upon an allegation that unlawful advice had been provided to a client.
- Acted for another spread betting company in defeating a claim for significant damages based upon an allegation of breach of statutory duty.
- Acted for a property developer client in bringing a claim for public nuisance against London Council in relation to significant losses caused to a substantial residential property by tree root damage.
- Acted for a high-profile individual in opposing an application for the construction of an “iceberg” basement in the garden of a residential property based in a well-known London street.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
James qualified as a solicitor in 1993. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at Streathers Solicitors.