Johnny is a specialist adviser to private individuals on the purchase, sale and mortgage of high-value residential property, particularly in London. Johnny’s clients include high- and ultra-high-net-worth individuals and families, overseas investors, trustees, family offices and private banks.
Johnny also has experience advising companies on investment acquisitions and disposals, lettings and portfolio management.
We found Johnny to be extremely thorough, capable, efficient, responsive and friendly. He acted as a true adviser and, most importantly, helped us to understand the "real world" implications and risks (or absence thereof) of certain legal constructs. We would highly recommend him to anyone who needs guidance and critical thinking in property transactions with a twist.
- High-value residential property
- Landlord and tenant advisory
- Lease extensions
- Investment acquisitions and disposals
- Portfolio management
- Corporate occupier
- Advised on the sale and purchase of prime and ultra-prime residential properties with individual values up to £52 million.
- Acted for a high-net-worth couple purchasing a £26 million family home in Holland Park.
- Acted on the sale of luxury new-build apartments at 20 Grosvenor Square in Mayfair to high-net-worth individuals.
- Completed a high-value remortgage of a family trust’s One Hyde Park Apartment in Knightsbridge in ten working days.
- Advised the directors of a freehold company, the owner of a block of ultra-high-value residential flats in Chelsea, in connection with a tenant’s application to excavate a basement, including negotiating an agreement for works, agreement for lease, escrow agreement, company and personal guarantees and Wellcome Trust licence for alterations.
- Acted for an ultra-high-net-worth entrepreneur purchasing a £6.25 million family home in Chelsea from receivers, where multiple charges were registered against the title, including an equitable charge in favour of the seller’s ex-wife.
- Advised on the purchase of Forbes House, Belgravia, and connected freehold and leasehold properties for overseas investors.
- Acted for an overseas client on the grant of an option to purchase 50% of their beneficial interest in an estate in Ascot in exchange for a business loan of £8 million, including advice on co-ownership and declarations of trust.
- Advised Derwent London Plc and Derwent Central Cross Limited on leasehold extension claims under the Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993.
- Advised a family office client on the acquisition of 101 Wigmore Street, including title review, due diligence reporting and transaction document negotiation.
- Acted for a private equity portfolio client on the lease re-gearing of their Central London office headquarters by negotiating five deeds of surrender and new leases with average rents of £500,000 per annum.
- Advised an Israeli bank on the development financing of a Park Plaza Hotel in London, including negotiating a certificate of title, lease variation to allow lender step-in rights in the event of forfeiture, warranties and indemnities in the financing documents and perfecting the bank’s security package.
- Acted for Avast Software on its $1.3 billion share acquisition of AVG Technologies N.V. by coordinating real estate due diligence of office leases in multiple jurisdictions, including Germany, Norway, France, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Israel and Serbia and reporting to the client on indirect change of control clauses and obtaining consents from landlords to the sale where required.
- Assisting Scotts Miracle-Gro Company on the £215 million asset and share sale of its European and Australian operations to Exponent Private Equity LLP, including managing the real estate Q&A process, dealing with pre-emption rights under French law, negotiation asset transfer provisions and indemnity protection for remediation liability in the SPA.
- Acting for an international bank on an underletting of office space in Broadgate Tower.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 for Residential Property (2021-2023)
“Professional and extremely efficient service. I have worked with Johnny Drysdale on many occasions and I would highly recommend him. He is always available to offer his professional advice when I call or email and communication skills are exceptional. He responds quickly on any queries or questions in order to proceed the transaction through as quickly and efficiently as possible.” The Legal 500 2023
“Broad range of strongly technical lawyers. Johnny Drysdale – extremely thorough, diligent and commercial. In what was a very difficult purchase Johnny had full grasp of key issues and was able to navigate them extremely well. I will be using him again.” The Legal 500 2023
“We have been very delighted with the service offered by Keystone. They handled the purchase of our new home with great efficiency and thoroughness. Johnny Drysdale handled our case and was exemplary throughout. Excellent communication, attention to detail and a delight to have on our side!” The Legal 500 2023
Johnny qualified as a solicitor in 2013. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at the following firms:
- White & Case
- Burges Salmon