Matthew is an experienced private equity lawyer who specialises in advising management teams and senior executive and non-executive managers in connection with management buy-outs, equity incentivisation plans, reorganisations, bolt-on acquisitions and other corporate activities.
- Private equity management
- Equity incentivisation
- Advised the senior management team of the Financial & Risk business of Thompson Reuters on their equity incentive arrangements following the acquisition of a majority interest by Blackstone.
- Advised the management team of Belron (Autoglass) on their equity incentive arrangements following the acquisition of a minority interest by Clayton Dubilier & Rice from D’Ieteren.
- Advised the management of Flint Group on their equity incentivisation arrangements following its acquisition from CVC by Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division and Koch Equity Development in a transaction valuing the company at more than €2.2 billion.
- Advised the management team of insurance broker A-Plan on the £270 million sale by Equistone to, and new equity incentive arrangements with, Hg Capital.
- Advised the management team of media intelligence business Gorkana on the £200 million sale by Exponent to, and new equity incentive arrangements with, Cision (a portfolio company of GTCR).
- Advised the management of BC Partners refinancing of Mergermarket including the acquisition of a 30% stake by GIC for £208 million.
- Advised the management team of roadside recovery group RAC on the acquisition by GIC of a strategic stake alongside The Carlyle Group in a transaction valuing the group at over £2 billion.
- Advised the management team of homebuilder Keepmoat on both the sale and new equity terms on TDR and Sun Capital’s £400 million acquisition.
- Advised on the $660 million sale of secure and step-down care facility provider Partnerships in Care.
- Acted for the management of Scandinavian payment infrastructure business Nets Holdings on their equity terms following the $3.1 billion acquisition by a consortium led by Bain Capital and Advent.
- Advised management on both sale and new equity terms on the €600 million sale by Investcorp of online payment services firm Skrill (formerly known as Moneybookers) to CVC.
- Advised management on the £390 million sale of Civica by 3i to, and new equity terms with, OMERS.
- Advised James Daunt and other senior managers of Waterstones on the disposal of a majority stake to Elliott Advisers by Lynwood Investments.
- Advised the management team of manufacturing support service provider Aktrion on Graphite Capital’s disposal to Servest.
- Advised management on the pre-admission reorganisation of Exova in connection with its £550 million Main Market IPO.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
- Mergermarket: Frequently ranked by Mergermarket as one of the leading private equity lawyers globally by both deal volume and value in the mid-market.
Matthew qualified as a solicitor in 2008. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, Matthew worked at the following firms:
- Travers Smith
- Shearman & Sterling
- Goodwin Procter