Muzaffar is a leading advisor on data privacy and information governance, as well as commercial transactions.
Muzaffar has worked on many international data-related projects, including large-scale compliance programmes, data breaches, engagement with data protection regulators, contentious data subject rights issues, international data flows, innovative uses of data and the introduction of new technologies.
In addition, Muzaffar advises on transactions involving intellectual property, and complex technology and commercial contracts, including agreements relating to the creation and exploitation of technology and related services, distribution agreements, manufacturing agreements and ancillary commercial agreements to broader corporate transactions.
Muzaffar’s clients have included major social media platforms, private equity funds, technology companies and online service providers.
- Data protection laws
- Data breaches
- Agreements relating to the use, sharing and exploitation of data
- Commercial contracts
- Agreements relating to the development and exploitation of technology
- Social media laws
- Advertising law
- Licensing agreements
- Supply agreements
- Outsourced services agreements
- Technology, intellectual property and data protection aspects of corporate transactions
- Advised on all aspects of an internal data privacy audit of the European subsidiaries of a US-headquartered training services company including implementation of necessary remediation.
- Advised a B2B digital publisher on the IP, technology and data protection aspects of the acquisition of a provider of insurance, financial and risk information services.
- Advised a provider of aviation technology services (in-flight entertainment and connectivity systems) on strategic collaboration arrangements with satellite operators and software vendors.
- Advised a Japanese electronics manufacturer on the pan-European roll-out of a new generation of “smart TVs”, including drafting and localisation of device terms and conditions and privacy policies and advice on the regulatory implications of data capture via user devices and monetisation of such data.
- Advised an international public relations/crisis communications firm on the implementation of an electronic daily information service, including advice on data protection and copyright issues associated with content scraping in light of recent case law and production of operational materials for roll-out within the organisation.
- Regularly advised a major social media platform on new product launches, data usage, monetisation of user-generated content, relationship with third-party platforms and secondary liability issues arising out of user-generated content.
- Advised a listed US sports clothing and accessories company on the development of an app and wearable technology, and associated partnership with a sports governing body, including advice on data sharing and legal agreements with each participant in the mobile app ecosystem.
- Advised a digital directory services client on two five-year outsourcing transactions involving service centres in India and the Philippines, including advice on governance, exit and service identification as well as negotiation of all transaction documentation.
- Advised an online retailer on the legal and regulatory aspects of an innovative personalisation and behavioural advertising initiative.
- Advised on the data protection, defamation and data protection aspects of the acquisition of a market intelligence service.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 (2022-2023) for Intellectual Property: Patents (Contentious and Non-Contentious)
Muzaffar qualified as a solicitor in 2009. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, he worked at the following firms:
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges (London) LLP