Owen is a dispute resolution lawyer who specialises in advising on high-value and complex disputes. Alongside his expertise in contentious work, he also conducts commercial matters. He is a triple-qualified solicitor in England & Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Much of Owen’s work is within the aviation industry.
Owen possesses broad experience of the entire litigation process, which is complemented by his experience in drafting and advising on commercial contracts.
He has conducted matters relating to breach of contract, debt recovery, negligence, product liability, aviation accidents, aircraft liens, and prosecutions against pilots. His work frequently contains an international element and his clients have included UAE royalty, high-net-worth individuals, companies, domestic and international aircraft operators, leasing companies, financiers, airports, maintenance companies, pilots, passengers and families.
While the majority of Owen’s experience has been gained in the High Court, he has also handled litigation in the County Courts and Magistrates’ Courts. He is also well versed in the use of alternative dispute resolution methods, particularly mediation.
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Commercial contracts
- Aviation and aerospace
- High Court, County Court, Magistrates’ Court and the Coroner’s Court
- Arbitration and mediation
- Commercial law
- Acted for a prominent aircraft charter company in successfully bringing a complex breach of contract action in the High Court relating to the management of a new Bombardier Challenger 300.
- Defended light aircraft and helicopter pilots in respect of prosecutions brought against them in various Magistrates’ Courts by the Civil Aviation Authority for breaches of the Rules of the Air Regulations 2007 and the Air Navigation Order 2009.
- Acted for a large domestic aircraft component manufacturer against a European airline in relation to a breach of contract claim.
- Acted for air carriers in respect of claims brought pursuant to EC Regulation 261/2004 (Denied Boarding Regulations) for delay, cancellation, denied board and lost baggage.
- Assisted in bringing a high-value claim in the London Commercial Court concerning a disputed aircraft buy-back agreement.
- Acted for an aircraft owner in a claim against an aircraft maintenance provider.
- Acted on the sale and purchase of aircraft (fixed wing and rotary) in the general aviation market.
- Assisted a Middle Eastern airline in respect of the sale and leaseback of Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
- Assisted in defending an action in respect of a disputed Emivest SJ30 business jet purchase in the High Court.
- Acted for UAE royalty, and various maintenance companies, in respect of aircraft repossessions.
- Acted on both the Boeing 777 Malaysian Airlines MH17 and Malaysian Airlines MH370 air accidents.
- Acted on the Hawker Hunter T7 Shoreham Airshow air accident.
- Assisted a large helicopter financier in respect of the lease of various high-value helicopters internationally.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Owen qualified as a solicitor in 2012. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, he worked at Stewarts.