Peter has over 35 years of experience helping clients pursue complex commercial disputes. During the past 20 years he has developed a specialist practice resolving disputes within partnerships, LLPs and private limited companies. Peter also advises on the drafting of partnership, LLP and shareholder agreements and other partnership, LLP and company issues and transactions.
- Partnership, LLP and professional practice disputes
- Boardroom and shareholder disputes
- Partnership, LLP member and shareholder agreements
- Partnership, LLP and company transactions (including mergers, sales and LLP conversions)
- Providing advice to partners and LLP members on a wide range of partnership and LLP issues arising in a number of different business sectors, including property investment, care homes, City investment management, farming and retail.
- Advising on and drafting professional practice partnership and LLP agreements.
- Assisting in the LLP conversion of a leading regional solicitors’ practice.
- Advising salaried and fixed share partners on avoiding liability for the debts of their insolvent solicitors’ practice.
- Advising a member of a leading accountancy practice LLP on the terms of his exit.
- Advising salaried partners on the terms of their exit from a solicitors’ practice.
- Advising solicitors on setting up an LLP and acquiring assets and goodwill from the administrator of an insolvent law firm.
- Advising a City bond dealer LLP on restructuring and capital issues.
- Acting for individual partners or groups of partners in relation to disputes arising between them on the dissolution of their professional firms (solicitors, accountants, surveyors, doctors, architects etc).
- Advising partners of City law firms on proposed de-equitisation and/or exit terms.
- Advising a leading accountancy practice as to the conduct of one of its members.
- Acting for a leading bank in a series of claims against partners of a dissolved solicitors’ practice.
- Advising professional practices (notably solicitors, surveyors and GP practices) on the expulsion of partners or members for fraud and/or other misconduct.
- Advising proposed salaried, fixed share and equity partners on the terms offered to them on joining professional firms.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by Chambers UK 2021 for Partnerships: Contentious
Recognised by The Legal 500 2021 for Partnerships
“Peter Garry is an exceptional lawyer and a great alternative of the same quality of partnership practitioners at better-known firms.” The Legal 500 2021
“Super partnership lawyer” Peter Garry is highly experienced in handling sensitive disputes related to partner exits, mergers and remuneration. He regularly represents partners in law firms of all sizes and also advises clients in the financial services sector. Chambers UK 2020
Recognised by the Legal 500 2020 for Partnerships
“Peter Garry is a very clear communicator and extremely responsive.” Legal 500 2020
Peter Garry of Keystone Law has considerable experience in partnership disputes across a wide range of sectors, including legal, private equity and retail matters. Clients praise his “comprehensive knowledge of partnership law” and also add: “His responses were always swift and thorough, and he has an approachable manner.” Chambers UK 2019
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Partnerships
“Sure-handed” Legal 500 2018
“Great insight” Legal 500 2018
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) from 2009 to 2022 in the practice area of Partnerships
Peter Garry of Keystone Law has practised in the contentious partnership space for over 20 years, and is characterised by one interviewee as “the complete litigator – a hugely experienced, true partnership practitioner who’s ready to roll up his sleeves and get tough if necessary, but also has a sensible, measured approach.” Chambers UK 2018
Peter Garry of Keystone Law is recognised for his expert handling of a broad range of partnership and LLP disputes. Garry also has experience of boardroom and shareholder disputes. Chambers UK 2018 and 2017
Recognised by Best Lawyers (UK) in the practice area of Partnerships 2017
Peter Garry of Keystone Law is well established in the partnership and professional practices field. Sources commend him for being “solid, practical and not afraid to be tough – he tends to get it right.” Chambers UK 2016
Peter Garry of Keystone Law commands respect for his long-running partnership practice. A client states: “His advice was solid and practical, and he was very supportive. He was excellent at identifying which elements of the dispute were important.” Chambers UK 2015
Peter Garry of Keystone Law acts for a mix of professional and non-professional clients. He is described as “a leading light in the partnership area” and predominantly advises on partner disputes, including partner exits and claims by former partners. Chambers UK 2014
Peter has a “considerable reputation for his work in the field” and in particular “as a skilled negotiator” Chambers UK 2013
Peter is a “strong negotiator “; absolutely excellent lawyer”; “hands down better than the legal team on the other side of the dispute…did so well for me” Chambers UK 2012
Peter is “extremely thorough and capable” Chambers UK 2011
Peter is “highly esteemed as a firm negotiator and litigator” Chambers UK 2010
Peter qualified as a solicitor in 1981. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2012, he worked at the following firms:
- Cripps Harries Hall
- Boodle Hatfield
- Payne Hicks Beach