Peter is widely renowned as a pioneer of sports law in the UK, and over the past 30 years has represented some of the leading sporting organisations and bodies on a wide range of commercial and contentious matters. He was also the appointed solicitor for the UK bid for the 1996 Olympics.
With a family legacy in the football world as son of Sir Bert Millichip (former Chairman of the FA), Peter has represented many clubs, including West Bromwich Albion, Aston Villa, Leicester City and Leicester Tigers, numerous players, and charities in the sport close to his heart.
When situations escalate, Peter has experience of resolving disputes at the highest level, including appearing before the House of Lords and the European Parliament.
In addition to sporting clients, Peter also advises celebrities from the world of entertainment and music.
- Sports regulatory matters
- Sports disciplinary issues
- Sponsorship deals
- Concession arrangements
- Licensing of media and other rights
- Transfer and player contracts
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Competition law
- Music production
- Corporate governance and policies
- Commercial agreements
- The Football Association
- The Football League
- The British Athletics Federation
- MCC and the England and Wales Cricket Board
- Professional Cricket Association
- The French Rugby Federation
- The Lawn Tennis Association
- British Equestrian Federation
- Amateur Swimming Association
- Amateur Boxing Association
- 1996 Olympics
- Successfully defended the British Athletic Federation in the House of Lords against an appeal by Diane Modahl against a lifetime ban for substance abuse.
- Advised on the drafting of the new rules for Academies and Centres of Excellence for the Premier League and the Football League.
- Drafting Articles and Regulations for The Football League.
- Instructed on the negotiation of digital media rights for the English Cricket Board and MCC and for the Football League.
- Negotiated staging rights for the Football League at the Millennium Stadium and new Wembley.
- Club solicitor for West Bromwich Albion FC during which he also acted for numerous football players of note.
- Advised an American Hedge Fund to set up and run a new sports and media company with Sir Bobby Robson to engage 35 sports legends across 5 different sports to support a financial and data objective, and sponsoring the victorious Ashes series in 2005 and Martin Johnson’s testimonial at Twickenham.
- Advised Aggregate Industries on the sponsorship of Oxford University Rugby Football Club.
- Successfully appealed to the European Parliament by the Football League against UEFA’s decision to exclude the winners of the Football League Cup from European competition, on grounds of an abuse of a dominant position under competition laws.
- Advised on the insolvency of football clubs including Crystal Palace FC, Portsmouth FC, Hull City FC, Swindon Town FC.
- Organised and promoted dinners and events in aid of the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and the Breast Cancer Unit of the Worcester Royal Hospital.
- Co-hosted the Sir Bobby Robson Golf Classic in Vila Sol Portugal in aid of the Refugio Orphanage in Faro.
- Co-hosted the Sporting Exhibition in Worcester in support of the Worcester Cathedral and the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.
- Sponsored the West Bromwich Albion Former Players Association for its charitable objects.
- Supported and advised the Cyrille Regis Legacy Trust in pursuit of its charitable objects to support young people from deprived backgrounds.
- Advised Robert Fripp in his claim for royalties against the PPL and PRS and the David Bowie Estate for his contributions to the titles “Heroes” and “Scary Monsters”.
- Advised Toyah Willcox on the production of her new albums and archive catalogues.
- Advised Chesney Hawkes on the production of his new albums and on the rights for his new West End theatre production.
- Negotiated and completed the purchase of new studios for DGM Live from Barclays Bank for use by Robert Fripp and King Crimson.
- Advised MovieBox Premiere on its purchase and finance for bespoke film studios in Loule Portugal for the production of major independent films.
- Produced musical theatre for Sabrina Productions including “Tales of the Woo” and “The Rhythm Club”.
Freeman of the City of London
Trustee of Resonance Music University
Advisory Board member for MovieBox Premiere
Former member of the Oxford University Sports Development Committee
Co-founder of The Business of Sport Limited
Peter qualified as a solicitor in 1976. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2022, he worked at the following firms:
- Coleridge Law
- Hammond Suddards Edge
- Edge Ellison