Richard is a highly experienced commercial litigator, who focuses his practice on cross-border matters relating to financial law, insolvency proceedings, and regulatory investigations.
When advising clients, he offers valuable experience, having worked as a senior in-house lawyer at a range of global companies as well as in private practice at multiple leading law firms.
- Commercial litigation
- Financial disputes
- Regulatory investigations
- Acted in a High Court litigation representing non-party applicants on a circa $500m shareholder dispute and damages claim in respect of a worldwide freezing order, between Russian business associates.
- Handled contentious matters and dispute resolution, including building and construction projects, general commercial litigation, and related claims.
- Advised on a regulatory investigation into the operations of an international mining and energy client.
- Led a team of lawyers conducting witness interviews, analysis, and presentation of evidence in IRHP litigation.
- Advised the Administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) following the bank’s collapse.
- Advised the SIPA Trustee in Bankruptcy for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (BLMIS) on UK and Commonwealth matters.
- Acted for a global bank advising on the regulatory investigations by the DoJ and other regulators in multiple jurisdictions into the manipulation of Foreign Exchange (FOREX) markets.
- Advised a principal UK defence manufacturer in relation to regulatory investigations by the DoJ, SEC and SFO regarding historic and ongoing trading practices and suspected FCPA and Bribery Act violations.
- Advised on the potential implications of sanctions as well as providing assistance to or the management of family offices of UHNW individuals.
- Roll-out of GDPR protocols and contract amendments to clients and group companies.
- Advised the company board (as a third party) in lieu of their conflicted General Counsel in breach of directors’ duties and wrongful dismissal proceedings.
- Advised on the effect and impact on credit- and loyalty- cardholders following the collapse of the House of Fraser Group.
- Advised on claims (including human rights claims) by prisoners against the Home Office and Prison Service stemming from detention or transport of prisoners.
- Advised on disputes with County Councils regarding environmental waste management plans and collections.
- Advised on construction and property disputes in relation to PFI healthcare projects and latent defects in hospital estates.
- Advised on Consumer Credit Act claims from cardholders for breach of contract.
- Advised on litigation matters for a Guernsey-based wealth management firm, including:
- A US property dispute;
- A US tax claim in relation to Portuguese property-based tax structures;
- Breaches of yacht/shipping charters;
- Contract claims in relation to aviation/shipping repair and maintenance contracts and recovery of a sunken vessel;
- Shareholder disputes;
- Breach of fiduciary duty allegations (to trial);
- Proceedings in the name of the trustee to uphold and enforce the terms of a trust against challenges from family members of the economic settlor (proceedings in Guernsey, Switzerland and Monaco).
Richard qualified as a solicitor in 2006. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2021, he worked at the following firms, in addition to several UK listed international companies as Senior In-House Counsel:
- Hausfeld & Co
- Gibson Dunn and Crutcher
- Taylor Wessing
- Linklaters LLP