Sharmila qualified as an English solicitor 29 years ago. She specialises in UK-inward Immigration Law and British Nationality and has been lawyer to prominent international families, Middle Eastern royalty, celebrities and global companies. Having worked closely with senior officials at the Home Office on many sensitive cases, Sharmila is able to draw on experience and guidance in the early stages of a matter. She is past Chair and member of the Law Society’s Immigration Law Committee, which lobbies UK government and key stakeholders for change to UK immigration policy and process.
Whether advising businesses or private individuals, Sharmila is widely regarded for her straightforward, practical and strategic advice – taking into account wider tax planning, personal needs and succession elements.
In my opinion Sharmila’s performance and ability during this time has been exemplary. She is a first-rate immigration lawyer. Very practical, extremely knowledgeable and an excellent problem solver. She has a knack for making the impossible, possible which is exactly what you need sometimes when tackling the growing complexities of the immigration system.
CEO, digital technology company
- Skilled Worker sponsor licence, employer compliance and governance
- International executive mobility
- Tier 1 Investor and Global Talent matters
- UK Family settlement
- EU immigration status, including naturalisation
- Applications for UK citizenship
- Succeeded in an application to the Home Office for the Skilled Worker sponsor CEO of an international bank in circumstances which would otherwise have left him waiting for permanent residence for a further three years
- Delivered a series of Brexit-related talks to an internationally renowned UK university for its 900 EU staff
- Assisted a large Middle Eastern family office with immigration applications, enabling family members to exceptionally switch status within the UK, bypassing the need for them to apply overseas at a time when it was dangerous to return to their home country
- Successfully unravelled an out-of-status entrepreneur in circumstances which had left her unable to travel to compete as an international Olympian
- Worked for an UHNW Middle Eastern family in exceptional circumstances applying for entry clearance in their home country for Tier 1 Investor extensions. Working closely with Home Office officials to ensure correct process for this family of five.
- Acted for an family office, as trusted advisor, in relation to the provision of UK legal services for a billionaire businessman, including his and his family’s status as Investor and PBS Dependents.
- Recently instructed by a UK bank to assist a South American client with applications for UK naturalisation in circumstances where the applicant had excess absences due to his role as CEO of a major investment bank.
- Assisted a wealthy family holding citizenship by investment Cypriot passports with EU and UK status during their permanent relocation to Spain, working alongside tax advisors to protect non-domicile status.
- Advised an EU national with his application for a British passport and future renunciation of his EU citizenship in order to facilitate the purchase of his home in Monaco.
- Acted for a Dual Saudi Arabian/UK national with a request from His Majesty’s Passport Office to change her name on her Saudi passport which we were able to reject.
- Gained a UK visa extension for the family of a deceased Saudi billionaire businessman based on his profile and investments made within the UK.
- Acted for Syrian PEP and family on general UK immigration matters including an overseas domestic worker, a UK permanent residency and UK naturalisation.
- Represented an Iranian billionaire on their application for Investor status and subsequent UK residency.
- Advised a Lebanese HNWI for last 10 years as an Investor, Entrepreneur, ILR and now on UK citizenship, together with advice for children by surrogacy from the USA.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 and 2023 for Immigration
“Sharmila Mehta’s expertise and care is second to none; she knows the immigration legal system inside and out such that she was able to provide us with the information we needed and in a very clear, professional yet at the same time personable manner. Not only profoundly knowledgeable, Sharmila was genuinely kind and caring of our situation, which is so important with immigration matters that cause so much stress and anxiety, not least during a pandemic.” The Legal 500 2022
“Sharmila Mehta is extremely knowledgeable and always willing to go the extra mile to ensure that both my organisation and the individuals we are supporting are fully aware of their responsibilities. Sharmila is able to explain complicated processes in a way that makes them easy to understand, and her calm professionalism means that she is able to reassure individuals who are concerned about their visa applications. I would have no hesitation in recommending Sharmila for any immigration work.” The Legal 500 2022
Chair and Member, Law Society of England and Wales, National Immigration Law Committee
Shortlist judge, Women of the Future Awards, UK and South East Asia
Sharmila Mehta is a superstar in the immigration field, with more than 22 years’ experience in corporate and private immigration law. The Spear’s 500 2018
She has ‘significant authority’ in handling highly sensitive cases around the world, including in Russia and the Middle East.
The Spear’s 500 2018
Sharmila qualified as a solicitor in 1992. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2020, she worked at the following firms:
- Farrer & Co
- Glenisters Solicitors