Steve is a highly experienced corporate and commercial lawyer with in-depth understanding of business issues, having been the Chief Executive Officer of two businesses. During his tenure as the CEO of a leading aerospace business, the company valuation increased from £6m to £100m, so he fully understands all the challenges and obstacles faced by growing businesses.
Using this experience, Steve has a particular focus in working with start-up and other growth companies; businesses in the aerospace and defence sector; technology companies and China/UK business transactions.
Steve also has significant non-contentious experience in the insurance and wider financial sector.
Steve is a responsive and experienced lawyer who can handle challenging transactions and other business situations with great skill. He has a high commercial sense - and brings this perspective as well as strong legal knowledge to his work. His international experience in the Middle East and elsewhere has proved useful on the work I have done with him.
Former CEO/Executive Vice Chairman
MENA Infrastructure Fund
- Business acquisitions
- Defence and security
- Insurance (non-contentious)
- Joint ventures
- Private company fundraising
- Takeover Code
- Technology companies
- £13m takeover of listed retail group on LSE main list
- £47m sale of insurance intermediary to Financial Services Major
- Business acquisition of aerospace business from administrators
- £20m roll-up by way of a series of private company acquisitions
- $400m proposed acquisition of Middle East industrial business
- Aircraft purchase agreements and ancillary documentation (both military and civil)
- Purchase of aerospace business from private sellers
- Patent litigation in US and UK concerning aerospace technologies
- Secured over £20m in equity and more than £7m of grants from UK and EU agencies to support aircraft development
- Partnering agreements with UK and European Aerospace Majors
- Aircraft development and sale contract with US Department of Defense prime contractor to provide aircraft on a US$500m program.
- $90m program including SSOW negation, change orders and program close out negotiations
- Advising on UK export controls, MTCR and ITAR issues
- Negotiation and contracting with Middle Eastern Procurement Authority for design services
- UK MoD negotiations and contracting commencing with initial scoping studies
- CEO of two companies which grew to 20 and 150 employees, respectively
- Acquisition of trading business by start-up company
- Over £10m of equity raised from founders, friends and family and private offices
- Over £2m raised in two crowdfunding on Crowdcube
- Advising on fundraising activities in Middle East, US (Regulation D) and Far East
- Multibillion listed company takeover of composite insurance group
- Multiple private company acquisitions and disposals of intermediaries
- Part VII transfers of insurance business including for entities in run-off
- Negotiation of £m premium bespoke after-the-event policy
- £20m aviation insurance claim and related settlement
- Restructuring of 90:10 life fund
- Leading negotiations in mainland China with major government related entity
- Fundraising rounds with China-based private equity and family office investors
- Partnering discussions with China-based multinational
- Export control discussions
- Acting for UK arm of China-based retail group
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society
Stephen qualified as a solicitor in 1995. Prior to joining Keystone Law, he worked at the following firms:
- Slaughter and May
- Shepherd and Wedderburn