Tom is an experienced lawyer who specialises in the non-contentious aspects of construction, development and finance law. His work includes drafting, negotiating and reviewing construction contracts, agreements from performance bonds to collateral warranties, professional appointments, and development finance documents. He routinely advises on bespoke as well as standard JCT, NEC and PPC contracts and has a track record in development projects ranging from small multi-unit developments up to multimillion-pound mixed-used projects. Tom has acted for developers, funders, landowners, professionals, registered housing providers, and blue-chip contractors. Clients have previously included ISG, Barnwood Construction, C&G, London & Cambridge Properties, Lincoln College Oxford, Baxalta UK Limited, The Oxford Science Park, Magdalen College Oxford, Lloyds Bank, L&Q, and City West Housing Trust.
- Drafting, negotiating and advising upon development agreements, construction contracts, finance arrangements and ancillary documentation
- Building contracts (in standard and bespoke form)
- Acquisition and funding of development property
- Professional appointments
- Partnering agreements
- Collateral warranties
- Parent company guarantees
- Consultants’ appointments
- Maintenance contracts
Drafted and negotiated the building contract, professional appointments and ancillary documents for Magdalen College (Oxford Science Park Project).
- Drafted and negotiated the building contracts and ancillary documents for Lincoln College development projects in Oxford.
- Advised a number of further education colleges, to include drafting and negotiating the full suite of construction documents for the building of new teaching facilities.
- Drafted and negotiated the full suite of construction documents for a joint venture between Henry Boot and a well-known contractor for a student lettings development in Bristol.
- Swansea University Accommodation Project.
- Ealing Schools PFI Project.
- Slough Schools PFI Project.
- Acted for the fit-out contractor refurbishing a well-known hotel in Mayfair. The form of contract was a JCT Design and Build Contract amended by a schedule of amendments. Ensured that the contractor was fully aware of the design risk and passing this on. Sectional completion dates on a room-by-room basis were key issues.
- Acted for the developer on a new Travelodge development in Oxford. This transaction involved drafting negotiating the full suite of construction documents and ensuring that they were investor-friendly.
- Advised upon the construction contracts and ancillary documents for a hotel in Birmingham.
- Acted for the developers of nightclubs and fitness centres across the UK.
- Contract review for ISG on a hotel in central London.
- Kent Excellent Homes PFI Project.
- Acted for Lloyds Bank on 4 extra care developments, advising upon and negotiation of all the construction documents (each development is in excess of £30m).
- Camden Care and Extra Care PPP Project.
- Kent Extra Care Housing PFI Project.
- Walsall Sheltered Housing Project.
- London Borough of Camden Older People Project
- North Tyneside Extra Care and Sheltered Housing Project.
- Developed a suite of maintenance contracts for City West Housing Trust for all of their future maintenance works, including drafting, negotiating and advising upon a bespoke maintenance contract for City West Housing Trust for a four-year contract worth £20m with Kinetics Group.
- Drafted and advised on full suites of construction documents for L&Q to use as precedent documents for range of current and future building projects.
- Advised a landowner on a 20-unit residential build development. Advised on and drafting promotion agreement, construction management agreement, funding agreement, step-in agreement, consultant appointments and collateral warranties.
- Oldham HRA Sheltered PFI Project.
- Stanhope HRA Housing PFI and Regeneration Project.
- Woking Housing PFI Project.
- Acted on a £400m mixed-use redevelopment in Cornwall by Inox Group, including drafting and negotiating the full suite of construction documents in an investor-friendly form.
- Conducted numerous contract reviews for ISG, Deconstruct UK and Barnwood Construction.
- Acted for Baxalta UK Limited (biopharmaceutical company) on a refurbishment and surrender of leasehold premises.
- Drafted construction documents for Tyseley Energy Park.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 2023 for South West: Construction as a Leading Individual
Recognised by The Legal 500 2022 for South West: Construction
“Jon Close and Tom Phillips are fantastic committed passionate construction professionals and they absolutely take the time to understand the client”s business and what they can do to help and address any issues.” The Legal 500 2022
Recognised in the Legal 500 2021 for South West: Construction
Recognised in the Legal 500 2020 for South West: Construction
Tom qualified as a solicitor in 2002. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, he worked at the following firms: