We can help you apply for a new premises licence or apply to vary the terms of an existing licence. Our service is highly bespoke and will be tailored to your needs and type of licence you wish to obtain or vary. You should note however, that the course of the matter will be significantly influenced by the approach taken by the relevant licensing authority.
What is included
As a general rule our services in this respect include:
- Taking your instructions and advising you as the procedural requirements relevant to your licensing application.
- Advising you as to the current licensing climate and approach taken by the relevant licensing authority.
- Advising you as to the likely costs and timescales involved in your licensing application.
- Assessing the premises and area, in the light of local authority licensing policy including any cumulative impact policy and other special licensing policies affecting on your business.
- Providing licensing strategy guidance and advising how and when to apply to optimise your prospects of success.
- Completing the licensing application form in accordance with your instructions and submitting this to the relevant authority.
- Preparing and serving copies of the premises licence application on the responsible authorities.
- Drafting the necessary public notices, advising you how to display the same and arranging for the application to be advertised in a suitable local publication.
- Advising you as to the requirement to provide a suitable licence supervisor and drafting the relevant supervisor application forms.
What is excluded
The fees set out below for your licensing application would not include any further work, such as:
- Preparing suitable plans.
- Attending meetings with the relevant licensing authority or responsible authorities, nor their fee for such meetings.
- Dealing with or advising you in relation to queries or representations received from either the responsible authorities or other interested parties.
- Advising on varying the licence (or where your application is to vary, then as to a further variation).
- Attendance and representation at a licensing sub-committee hearing of the responsible authority.
- Attending the property to be licensed.
- Experts fees (if needed).
What we charge
We charge an hourly rate for our services. The hourly rates of our solicitors vary as do the number of hours required to apply for a new licence or the variation of an existing licence. We also deal with many different types of licence, especially the more complex applications. To give you an indication of our likely fees, we set out below example fee estimates for matters of varying complexity.
- Simple application: which could be a restaurant or late night refreshment premises in a commercial area: £1,400 – £3,500.
- Medium complexity application: which could be a bar or late night restaurant in a densely populated area: £2,100 – £5,500.
- High complexity application: which could be a large premises with different licensable activity requirements, a large capacity premises, a night club, provision of relevant entertainment, or premises located in a cumulative impact zone: in excess of £6,000.
You should note that the approach of the relevant licensing and responsible authorities, and the involvement and organisation of residential and local amenity groups will significantly affect our charges. Other factors will increase the complexity of the matter include:
- Larger premises.
- More densely populated location.
- Licensed activity not in keeping with the local area.
- Perceived likelihood of public nuisance, crime or disorder attaching to the licensed activity.
- Historic licensing issues associated with the local area.
- Historic licensing issues associated with the particular premises.
- The extent to which the proposed licence may not align with Local Authority policy.
- Later hours of operation.
- Outdoor festivals and events.
- Multiple stakeholders involved in instructing us.
In addition to our fees, you will need to budget for the following:
- Application fee charged by the licensing authority (typically from £100 to £1,905 but more if the venue capacity exceeds 4999)
- Advertising fee (typically from £100 to £500)
- Enquiry agent fees to display public notices (typically from £75 to £500)
- Preparing plans (typically from £300 to £1,000)
We would usually discuss these additional third party services (known as disbursements) with you in advance and instruct those service providers on your behalf when necessary. You are responsible for their fees, though we would usually handle their payment for you to ensure a smoother process and add these costs to your invoice.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as the application fee. We will pay the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Matters usually take between six to twelve weeks from receipt of instructions from you. This is on the basis of the application being relatively straightforward and you being able to provide all the necessary documents promptly. If your matter is more complex, for example, if there is substantial opposition from interested parties, or if there is a delay in receiving the documents we need, it may take longer.