Professor Dan Hyde is recognised as a leading lawyer and business coach with a first mover practice in innovation, modern financial regulation, fintech, DLT/applied blockchain, cryptoassets (fungible and non-fungible/NFTs) and emerging technology regulation. He combines his legal, academic and business acumen to align innovation and regulation.
He has represented a number of the Fortune Nfty 50, was a special adviser to the UK Government with its review of information security legislation and authored the first books on cyber law and the international regulation of blockchain and cryptocurrency. Dan also advises governments, banks, universities, entrepreneurs, startups, SMEs, and large blue-chip companies.
An entrepreneur in his own right, he has founded various ventures including Iconiq, a startup tokenising iconic art and artefacts. Dan has delivered talks around the world and commentated on legal developments for major national and international news channels including Sky, BBC and ITV.
Dan is the best fintech lawyer I know … true genius.
Susanne Chishti, CEO FinTech Circle, FTSE Board Member, Editor The FINTECH Book Series
The content of Dan’s Advice paper was outstanding … Dan was knowledgeable, proactive and a pleasure to work with, and he helped give our project confidence … I would absolutely work with him again.
Alex Stickler, founder of DiamondSwap
- Digital / cryptoassets: NFTS & FTs
- Financial regulation
- Financial malfeasance / crime
- Applied blockchain: domestic and international regulation
- Metaverse and Web 3
- Cyber attacks
- Disruptive technology regulation (AI, Quantum Computing)
- Data security and the regulation of information
- Tech regulation
Crypto & digital assets
- Advised the Law Commission and UK Government on cyber and data security laws and proposed a revised regulatory framework.
- Advised an offshore-based global entity on the structuring requirements for a novel decentralised OTC digital assets trading platform and token launch.
- Advised multiple innovative startups (ranging from NFT to DeFi to gaming to super apps projects) on how to structure and operate their MVP, the appropriate business model and jurisdictions so as to be compliant with the applicable regulator.
- Acted for a global corporate in relation to a significant cyber-attack, assisted with its breach response, risk assessment, regulator, customer and third-party notifications and post-breach remedial actions.
- Advised a gaming company on the structure and compliance requirements of its proposed NFT / applied blockchain intergalactic virtual football game and token offering, to include IP issues around image and other rights.
- Advised an NFT whale /Nfty 50 on metaverse virtual property acquisition and sale strategy.
- Acted for a significant FCA-regulated corporate on its change of control and sale of its financial services business to include obtaining all necessary authorisations.
- Acted for the administrators of a corporate group in relation to the sale and transfer of all its regulated financial services business and the subsequent cancellation of all its FCA authorisations.
- Advising multiple fintech and financial service provider startups on the FCA compliance status of their MVP / proposed financial products and assisting in structuring the business so that it complies with the appropriate international financial regulator.
- Advising the corporate purchaser of a challenger bank, ensuring the appropriate authorisations and consents are in place and that the online financial services provide all the requisite information and customer notices and that the regulators are aligned.
- Advised a credit broking startup on the scope of activities it could undertake, compliance with the financial promotions regime and the structuring of a proposed employee share option scheme to render it permissible.
- Advised a Dubai-based agri-tech venture on its proposed UK fundraising initiative and the financial promotions regime.
- Advised a cross-border digital commodity trading platform by providing regulatory guidance and solutions to ensure compliance while preserving the commercial proposal’s integrity.
- Advised a tech business on its AI-powered construction analytics platform and whether the software or hardware that it uses to deliver services to clients was compliant with export restrictions or could be caught within the scope of the sanction regime.
- Advised a global blue-chip tech business operating in the hospitality and events industry on regulatory compliance including guidance on the application of FCA rules, Payment Services Regulations, and Electronic Money Regulations to include its partnership with payment systems providers.
- Advised a UK-based tech venture on its global trading platform algorithm on legal and regulatory issues impacting their business model.
- Advised a startup on its online credit-broking and price-comparison platform to connect suitable investors with developers seeking funding for commercial projects. Advised on the range of proposed activity, the applicability of FCA consumer and investment regulations as well as revising online content.
- Advised a fintech on its proposed share issue and option schemes, to include advice as to their structure and application of the FCA rules.
Fraud & Financial Crime
- Acted in the ‘News of the World Hacking Case’ described as the “Trial of the Century” for News International’s security head in relation to his investigation and prosecution alongside Rebekah Brooks and others. Client acquitted.
- Advised on suspected insider dealing and market abuse by senior staff and officers at a national food retailer, conducted interviews and managed the internal investigation, liaised with the HR teams on the disciplinary dismissal process and with the FCA regarding the insider trading prosecution.
- Advised one of the “NatWest 3 / Enron 3” after his plea bargain, conviction and sentence.
- Advised a corporate administrator of a complex joint venture investment structure between two major countries, one of which is subject to complex sectoral economic sanctions. The structure involved a number of entities across a number of jurisdictions. Provided ongoing sanctions and AML advice on proposed transactions, in addition to responding to regulatory queries.
- Advised a diamond mining company during an investigation to ascertain whether it held proceeds of crime/funds derived from bribery and corruption.
- Conducted an internal review of a fiduciary company’s compliance with risk-based systems and controls obligations arising from AML requirements, pursuant to money laundering legislation and guidance.
- Acted on behalf of a claimant pursuing claims under the Data Protection Act, misuse of information and breach of confidence in relation to the misuse of her personal data and private information after she gave confidential evidence to various UK police forces.
- Acted for claimants who sought to recover proceeds of their investment in a crypto investment scheme to include obtaining worldwide freezing orders as well as orders in the BVI for the recovery of their invested funds.
- Acted for a corporate in successfully defending a group action brought by customers alleging their confidential personal information including credit card and financial data had been compromised following a cyber-attack on third-party merchants connected to the client.
- Acted for a Libyan incorporated commercial airline in pursuing recovery action following a cyber-attack and consequent push fraud to divert payment for jet repairs to a cybercriminal. Obtained disclosure and freezing orders and identified the perpetrator.
- Acted for a Hong Kong-based company to recover sums due to it for the supply of designer perfumes after the defendant company was allegedly the victim of a man-in-the middle cyber-attack that resulted in the funds being diverted to the perpetrators’ bank account.
Appointed Visiting Professor, School of Law, Queen Mary University of London
Appointed Cyber Business Coach-Mentor, University of Cambridge, Judge Business School
Appointed Mentor, Changemakers Programme, Homerton College, University of Cambridge
Appointed Coach-Mentor, Barclays Eagle Labs
Appointed Judge and Evaluator at the Hague International Court for the Grand Slam Moots 2020–2023
Former Publications Officer for the International Bar Association
Authored the first UK published book Cyber Security: Law and Practice (Jordans & Lexis Nexis, 2017)
Authored the first UK/US and European published book Blockchain and Cryptocurrency: International Legal and Regulatory Challenges (Bloomsbury, July 2019)
Further publications include:
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency and the Laws of the Metaverse (second edition, Bloomsbury 2022)
- Cybersecurity Law and Practice (edition 2, Lexis Nexis, September 2019)
- Modern Financial Regulation (Jordans, 2013)
- Managing Cyber Security Risk (editions 1, 2 & 3, Legend Press)
- Introduction to Data Protection Law (in partnership with Lexis Nexis) (August 2019)
Co-founder of CyberCounsel At Law; speaker/trainer (GDPR, Cybersecurity, Corporate Crime) for RICS, ITIC, Lexis Nexis, MBL & Bloomsbury
Presenter/producer of MBL Cybercrime webinar and test and Lexis Nexis Corporate Crime in-house compliance training webinar and certification tests
Authored Lexis Nexis PSL online practice notes for GDPR, Data Protection Act 2018, Malicious Communications Offences, Cross Border Criminal Investigations and Computer Misuse Offences
Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2023, Dan worked at the following law firms:
- Pennington Manches Cooper
- Howard Kennedy
- Harrison Clark Rickerbys