Dharmendra is a disputes lawyer specialising in shipping, commodities and commercial litigation. He primarily represents companies and individuals based in India, Singapore and Bangladesh. Dharmendra has also advised and represented various oil companies, ship-owners, charterers, steel manufacturers, commodity suppliers, banks, software companies and wealthy individuals in relation to various disputes in London, India and Singapore.
- Commercial litigation
- Cross-border disputes
- Commercial contracts
- Contractual disputes
- Maritime and international shipping trade
- Recovery and insolvency
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- International arbitration
- Representing an offshore oil and gas drilling contractor to oppose a freezing order against its drilling unit. Claim is for US$5m.
- Advised a Philippines oil exploration company in connection with its claim arising out of a premature and unlawful termination of the charter. The claim is circa US$20m.
- Advised a UK incorporated energy service provider in connection with a failed joint venture and dismissal of employees.
- Advised a Singapore listed company in connection with its dispute over the installation of communication and tracking devices on board an offshore rig. Claim is estimated to be US$9m.
- Advised a listed company in a dispute with its contracting party over the price and scope of work to be carried out in accordance with the terms of the contract on another offshore rig. Dispute is subject to Singapore law, SIAC arbitration.
- Advised a Singapore listed telecommunication entity in connection with its dispute over the installation of communication and tracking devices on board an offshore rig. The dispute is subject to Australian law and arbitration and the claim is estimated to be around US$15m.
- Advised and acting for a listed bank in High Court proceedings against its software supplier for breach of an IT contract. The legal issues pertain to contractual construction, interpretation of terms and rights to terminate the contract. Successfully obtained an interim injunction against the software company.
- Advised BRAC bank in relation to its majority shareholder stake in a US$1bn listing.
- Acting for a client against a firm of solicitors for breach of professional conduct.
- Acting on behalf a Singaporean logistics company in its dispute with shipowners arising out of the insolvency of OW Bunkers.
- Advised an owner in connection with various sales and purchases of a fleet of anchor handling tugs.
- Acting for a steel company in its negotiations to construct, operate and manage the building of two Polar Class vessels to operate in the Arctic.
- Acting for the same steel company in a dispute with the owners whose vessel collided into a quay in Liberia belonging to the steel company. The claim for damages is circa US$3m.
- Advised a Singapore listed telecommunications entity in connection with its dispute over the installation of communication and tracking devices on an offshore rig. The dispute is subject to Australian law and arbitration and the claim is estimated to be around US$15m.
- Advised a listed company in a dispute with its contracting party over the price and scope of work to be carried out in accordance with the terms of the contract on an offshore rig. The dispute is subject to Singapore law, SIAC arbitration.
- Advised and acted for an agent of four English Premiership clubs to recover advertising fees from their contracting parties subject to Singapore law and arbitration in Singapore.
- Advised a large Singaporean commodity trader in connection with the sale of a consignment of uncontractual GMO wheat crop that was rejected following tests carried out by South Korean authorities. Dispute subject to English law under GAFTA Rules. The claim is estimated at circa US$2.5m.
- Advised a Hong Kong trader in connection with the aborted sale and purchase of 70,000 metric tons of rice from Argentina to Bangladesh. The dispute is subject to English law, GAFTA procedure and the dispute centres on legal issues re the actual quantum of the loss, if any. The claim is circa US$750,000.
- Representing a wealthy individual based in Singapore in a claim for the restitution of the value of the shares in the family business. The claim is for US$40m.
- Advised a chemical company incorporated in New York in connection with its express contractual right as buyer to terminate a long-term supply agreement.
- Advised the majority shareholder of a company in connection with a shareholder dispute.
- Appointed to defend a client in committal complex proceedings arising from UK judgment and in defending further claim for damages.
- Acting for a large shoe manufacturer in respect of false allegations against them pertaining to slavery, poor working practice and child labour in their factories. The case is multi-jurisdictional with public relation experts retained to manage customer expectations and business.
- Advised and acting for an agent of four English Premiership clubs recover advertising fees from their contracting parties subject to Singapore law and arbitration in Singapore.
- Advised one of India’s largest multi-national corporation in connection with the challenge of an ICC Arbitration Award in the High Court relating to the right to recover third-party litigation funding under the English Arbitration Act 1996. The case is now set as being the first-ever English legal precedent for the recovery of third-party litigation funding under the English Arbitration Act 1996. Reported in December 2016.
- Advised a listed Bangladesh Bank (AB Bank) in connection with a US$20m fraud committed via a bank in Abu Dhabi. Reported judgment in connection with application for Norwich Pharmacal Order, commenced fraud investigations and substantive proceedings against the fraudsters in London.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by The Legal 500 for Commercial Litigation: Mid-Market (2018-2024)
Recognised by The Legal 500 for Shipping (2022-2024)
“Dharmendra Nair is very attentive, prompt to understand the matter and offers the best advice to resolve it. He is very sharp and provides a very valuable service to our business.” The Legal 500 2022
“Dharmendra Nair is our point of contact. Given that we regularly discuss various legal issues with him, he has a very clear understanding of the client”s business and this is key when deciding strategy and the best outcome at an early stage.” The Legal 500 2022
Recognised in the Legal 500 2020 for Shipping
“Dharmendra Nair is exceptional in that he recognises the strengths and weaknesses of the case very quickly and is able to provide a strategy early on that will help achieve the best possible result.” Legal 500 2020
Recognised in the Legal 500 2018 for Shipping
“Formidable tactician, commercially astute and fantastic team player who understands the client’s needs and concerns completely.” Legal 500 2017
“Top class professional” Legal 500 UK 2015
“Technically excellent” with “commercial acumen, flair, attention to detail and wealth of experience” The Legal 500 UK 2014
“Excellent” The Legal 500 UK 2013
Dharmendra qualified as a solicitor in 2001. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, he worked at the following firms:
- Squire Patton Boggs
- Thomas Cooper
- DLA Piper
- Reed Smith