Stephen is an experienced corporate and commercial lawyer with a wide range of expertise across of number of jurisdictions. He has experience of advising borrowers on tax- and VAT-efficient offshore structures that hold UK-based real estate assets and expertise in advising lenders in relation to the financing of such offshore structures.
In addition to providing commercial law advice to a wide range of businesses, Stephen also has extensive experience of advising IT, telecoms and e-gaming companies on technology-based commercial agreements having previously worked as a telecommunications consultant with Andersen Consulting (now Accenture).
Stephen has multi-jurisdictional experience and connections having worked in London, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi and Dubai as well as the Isle of Man.
Legal 500 2017
Offshore real estate structuring to hold investment property or to undertake property development for:
- Private equity funds
- Property funds
- Special purpose vehicles
- Non-dom investors
Offshore real estate finance involving:
- Senior debt
- Mezzanine debt
- Off-balance sheet orphan structures
Commercial agreement drafting and negotiation for:
- Outsourcing service providers
- E-gamers and online sports betting companies
- Telecoms and IT companies
- Space and satellite companies
- Structuring and restructuring for non-IoM-based assets involving the IOM’s creditor-friendly pre-1986 insolvency law
- Online card payments and multi-currency bill payment services
- Long-term legal counsel to a UK-based private equity property development and property investment company
- Legal counsel to a UK-based multi-currency bill payment service provider
- Long-term legal counsel to a telecommunications company and outsourcing service provider, including the drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements with one of the world’s largest online poker companies
- Long-term legal counsel to a UK and an IOM-based brewer, retailer and logistics company
- Leading lawyer negotiating legal and commercial settlement of a long-term consultancy agreement between a Kuwaiti trading company and a multi-national oil company, which resulted in 20-fold increase in settlement payment to the client
- Advised a wide range of US, European and Asian organisations (including Halliburton and KBR) in Kuwait immediately after the Second Gulf War
- Sole Western lawyer in Bryan Cave’s Abu Dhabi and Kuwait offices for five years with responsibility for running each office, advising clients and running each office’s business development activities
- Legal advisor to a leading European system integrator during its development, implementation and operation of an international satellite tracking security service for the Omani national oil company
- Legal advisor to National Bank of Kuwait regarding its implementation of an Internet-based funds supermarket investment service
- Participated in a United Nations working group with responsibility for drafting cross-jurisdictional commercial agreements for use in developing countries
- Advised the management team of Gameiom Technologies Limited during the sales of the entire issued share capital of Gameiom Technologies Limited to PlayAGS, Inc.
- Advised the shareholders of Duke Marketing Limited in relation to the sale of share capital, the transfer of a Motor Sport Archive to Motorsports Network, LLC and its leaseback to Duke Marketing Limited; and the preparation of a joint venture shareholders’ Agreement for Duke Marketing Ltd and related agreements.
- Providing corporate and commercial legal advice and support to the Henley Group including the preparation and negotiation of investor documentation for each of the Henley Group’s investor feeder structures and restructuring and extending and entering into new investor and shareholder loans, documenting the accelerated distribution of sale proceeds to investors and sale of Henley properties and entities.
- Solelegal advisor to Vannin Ventures Limited advising on its commercial contract negotiations with leading multi-national telecommunications providers and their internal and external legal teams.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised by the Legal 500 2018 for Isle of Man: Corporate and Commercial
Stephen Rodd is recognised by the Legal 500 2017 for Corporate & Commercial. “Very user-friendly”
Stephen qualified as a solicitor in 2000. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2014, he worked at the following firms:
- Bryan Cave