Will is both a Manx Advocate and qualified Solicitor in England and Wales. He has significant experience in advising on cross-border mergers and acquisitions of regulated entities acting for either the vendor or purchaser. Further, Will advises high-net-worth individuals, SPVs, foundations and financial institutions on the full range of corporate, regulatory and trust issues that arise for regulated entities and their clients.
Will advises on the creation and operation of purpose trusts and foundations as ‘orphan’ structures for debt restructuring and as the ultimate holding vehicle for PTCs. He also advises on a range of real estate and asset finance matters acting for lenders and borrowers in respect of the financing of Isle of Man entities, in particular companies, partnerships and trusts, both in terms of investment and development financing.
Will has served as In-house Legal Counsel and as Managing Director at various multi-jurisdictional corporate and trust service providers in the Isle of Man.
- Corporate law
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Restructuring of real-estate holding companies
- Real estate finance
- Corporate insolvency
- Headed a cross-practice team acting as Isle of Man counsel to the incumbent management team of Boston Limited (a class 4 and 5 licence holder regulated by the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority) with the support of Rockpool Investments LLP, a UK mid-market private equity house in connection with a management buyout of the entire issued share capital of Boston Limited.
- Headed a team from Keystone’s Corporate and Commercial department acting as lead Isle of Man counsel on Ocorian’s acquisition of Estera.
- Headed a cross-practice as lead counsel to a global service provider in connection with its purchase of the entire issued share capital of an Isle of Man regulated business holding a class 4 and 5 licence.
- Acted as lead legal advisor to a client on the sale of her 45% minority interest in the Class 4 and 5 licence holder regulated by the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority to one of the other minority shareholders.
- Advised the purchaser in relation to the IOM aspects of its purchase of Isle of Man licensed merchant services business from its listed parent. Subsequently advised the licensed entity on: the redrafting of its Money Transmission Services Agreement; the redrafting of its internal services agreements with its subsidiaries in multiple jurisdictions; regulatory advice on its class 8 licence requirements; its Software Maintenance Agreement and its Sub-licence Agreements; and the restructuring of its parent holding structure including the redomiciling of multiple companies into the Isle of Man.
- Advised an online reseller of travel arrangements and holidays on: development agreements for the company’s own reselling website and app; agreements with various large insurers sourcing holidays to be resold; agreements with large multinational online reselling websites; and shareholder agreements and other corporate structuring matters.
- Advised an international trust and corporate service provider on the sale of trading subsidiaries in the UK, Luxembourg and Switzerland.
- Isle of Man restructuring, insolvency and regulatory advice and assistance provided to a Cayman fund, the majority investor in and lead lender to an Isle of Man incorporated and regulated specialist collective investment scheme and a US-based independent investment manager dedicated to providing capital solutions across special situation opportunities in relation to its role as adviser.
- Remedied a distressed CSP’s book of business, working with the regulator and shareholder to find a mutually beneficial outcome. Developed and implemented an extensive corporate governance framework and was instrumental in developing a governance-focused culture within the business. Ran the bidding and due diligence process which resulted in the sale of two books of business to two separate global corporate service providers.
Please note: The experience list above may include examples of work completed prior to joining Keystone Law.
Recognised as a Next Generation Partner by The Legal 500 2020 for Isle of Man: Corporate and Commercial
Recognised as a Next Generation Partner by The Legal 500 2020 for Isle of Man: Banking and Finance
Recognised by The Legal 500 2019 for Isle of Man: Banking & Finance and Isle of Man: Corporate and Commercial
Recognised by The Legal 500 2018 for Isle of Man: Banking & Finance
William qualified as a solicitor in 2008. Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2016, he worked at the following firms:
- Close Private Banke